Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: How to boot knoppix with USB CDROM

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    2

    How to boot knoppix with USB CDROM

    I'd like to know if there is some trick to boot a knoppix system with a cdrom connected by usb 2.0 port.

    I have buyed a X31 notebook by IBM ed it hasn't floppy only pen drive or usb cdrom...

    I don't like too much the idea to extract the hd and install in another note.

    Has somebody a good idea?

    Thanks a lot

    Menisk

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3

    Re: How to boot knoppix with USB CDROM

    Quote Originally Posted by menisk
    I'd like to know if there is some trick to boot a knoppix system with a cdrom connected by usb 2.0 port.

    I have buyed a X31 notebook by IBM ed it hasn't floppy only pen drive or usb cdrom...

    I don't like too much the idea to extract the hd and install in another note.

    Has somebody a good idea?

    Thanks a lot

    Menisk
    Yes you can boot from USB CDROM

    You´ve to activate it in BIOS

    Your CD should be a bootable CDROM


    That's all

    Hackito

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1
    I might be using too old a version of knoppix -
    The boot load works, then knoppix (and similarly for redhat7.3) halts, as the OS hasn't yet defined the usb-devices, so it cannot see the cd-rom.

    Is there a variant with USB(crom) support built in to the initial booted ramdisk image?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by raykt
    I might be using too old a version of knoppix -
    The boot load works, then knoppix (and similarly for redhat7.3) halts, as the OS hasn't yet defined the usb-devices, so it cannot see the cd-rom.

    Is there a variant with USB(crom) support built in to the initial booted ramdisk image?
    I have exactly the same problem (Thinkpad X31, external usb2 dvd-rw drive). Knoppix (and other live-cds) boot up ok until the point where it tries to mount the root filesystem. It just barfs at that point (error mounting /), drops to shell (ash) and I can't really proceed.

    I was thinking I could copy the iso to the hard drive and use the new boot param but before I attempt to do so, does anyone foresee any problems because the hd is NTFS atm? If it doesn't work with NTFS, I will have to repartition and if I'm gonna do that I might as well as install gentoo. argh

    Please help us.......

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    252
    People be very carefull with IBM laptops !
    I know IBM got series of laptops that got default encrypted harddisks.
    The encryption is hardware encoded. (a chip beside the ide-controller).
    So be very carefull when testing knoppix (or any other livecd) on a IBM laptop. It IS NOT INCLUDED in the warranty if you f*** up you HDD !.

    Maybe it's the case for this laptop ?

    If you wanna persist try booting with a cheatcode that doesn't search and automount your HDD ?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by ktheking
    People be very carefull with IBM laptops !
    I know IBM got series of laptops that got default encrypted harddisks.
    The encryption is hardware encoded. (a chip beside the ide-controller).
    So be very carefull when testing knoppix (or any other livecd) on a IBM laptop. It IS NOT INCLUDED in the warranty if you f*** up you HDD !.

    Maybe it's the case for this laptop ?

    If you wanna persist try booting with a cheatcode that doesn't search and automount your HDD ?
    First of all... the problem here is the inability read the CDROM... not the hd.

    Anyway, there is nothing funny about the hd on the X31. I actually had gentoo running on this laptop for 3 months... Way back then I successfully did a network boot+install off my linux desktop through a lan; No cds required. Unfortunately, I had to format and put winxp back on for work related reasons, and now I'm in a foreign country without access to a linux box... I searched the forums and it looks like the default ISO is missing some usb/firewire storage modules...

    I found instructions for building a custom knoppix ISO with the necessary usb modules but as my linux desktops are on the other side of the world at the moment, I can't make my own livecds.

    I think I read somewhere that the next release of knoppix may have these modules but it won't be released until end of first quarter 2004....


  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    203

    I think this is just the chicken/egg ??

    Sure someone will point out if Im wrong BUT
    Isnt this just a case of the USB modules not being present...

    I was getting a friend to try with the same prob and although we didnt try yet shouldn't copy to HDD get round this....
    i.e.
    knoppix tohd=/dev/hda1 ??

    then boot with fromhd and do the 'proper' install from there??

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by wutwuzdat
    I found instructions for building a custom knoppix ISO with the necessary usb modules but as my linux desktops are on the other side of the world at the moment, I can't make my own livecds.

    I think I read somewhere that the next release of knoppix may have these modules but it won't be released until end of first quarter 2004....
    I'm in the same boat. My Linux machine is gone, and I was hoping to use Knoppix on my X31. Booting off the USB CD-ROM works, of course, but it drops me to the limited shell due to the lack of USB modules.

    If anyone can tell me how to build an .iso image of Knoppix from a Windows machine with the proper USB modules, I'd be more than grateful. (Or, if someone wants to make an .iso for me, I can grab it from them and host it for everyone.)

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    just copy the big 700M file from the CD to c:\knoppix\ so it becomes c:\knoppix\knoppix and boot with the CD-ROM.

    I am assuming your c: is FAT, if it is NTFS this won't work(well may be it would work as the cloop may have been recoded to cope with NTFS, haven't tested that for a long time).

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    just copy the big 700M file from the CD to c:\knoppix\ so it becomes c:\knoppix\knoppix and boot with the CD-ROM.

    I am assuming your c: is FAT, if it is NTFS this won't work(well may be it would work as the cloop may have been recoded to cope with NTFS, haven't tested that for a long time).
    I'm aware of this workaround, but was not aware that it would work with my NTFS partition. I will give it a shot later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 3.7, 2.6.x, bios-unsopported cdrom, boot from floppy
    By growngizmo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-25-2005, 01:52 PM
  2. Cheatcode dd if=/cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img of=/dev/fd0
    By lilsirecho in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-22-2004, 04:42 AM
  3. boot knoppix from scsi cdrom
    By jerome in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-01-2004, 08:38 AM
  4. Possible help if you can't get Knoppix to boot from cdrom
    By rickenbacherus in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-09-2003, 12:12 AM
  5. knoppix cdrom boot fails on some cdrom players
    By Koga in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2003, 12:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay picture

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay

$500.00



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server picture

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server

$109.99



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



Linux 5.2 The Complete Redhat Operating System Deluxe Secure Server 3 CD Book picture

Linux 5.2 The Complete Redhat Operating System Deluxe Secure Server 3 CD Book

$37.49



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99



Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server DVD English OS Media Kit RHF0382US picture

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server DVD English OS Media Kit RHF0382US

$41.30