-

Originally Posted by
ktheking
People be very carefull with IBM laptops !
I know IBM got series of laptops that got default encrypted harddisks.
The encryption is hardware encoded. (a chip beside the ide-controller).
So be very carefull when testing knoppix (or any other livecd) on a IBM laptop. It IS NOT INCLUDED in the warranty if you f*** up you HDD !.
Maybe it's the case for this laptop ?
If you wanna persist try booting with a cheatcode that doesn't search and automount your HDD ?
First of all... the problem here is the inability read the CDROM... not the hd.
Anyway, there is nothing funny about the hd on the X31. I actually had gentoo running on this laptop for 3 months... Way back then I successfully did a network boot+install off my linux desktop through a lan; No cds required. Unfortunately, I had to format and put winxp back on for work related reasons, and now I'm in a foreign country without access to a linux box... I searched the forums and it looks like the default ISO is missing some usb/firewire storage modules...
I found instructions for building a custom knoppix ISO with the necessary usb modules but as my linux desktops are on the other side of the world at the moment, I can't make my own livecds.
I think I read somewhere that the next release of knoppix may have these modules but it won't be released until end of first quarter 2004....
Similar Threads
-
By growngizmo in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 02-25-2005, 01:52 PM
-
By lilsirecho in forum The Lounge
Replies: 5
Last Post: 10-22-2004, 04:42 AM
-
By jerome in forum The Lounge
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-01-2004, 08:38 AM
-
By rickenbacherus in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-09-2003, 12:12 AM
-
By Koga in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-11-2003, 12:07 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99

Samsung 2.5" MZ-ZLN512C 512GB SATA III 6Gbps SSD MZ7LN512HAJQ-000H1
$49.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health
$24.00

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99

Timetec MS10 1TB SSD NVMe PCIe Gen3x4 3D NAND SSD 35TTFP6PCIE-1TB
$89.99

WD Blue DRIVE SSD 250gb Internal SATA Solid State Drive for Laptops
$39.99