-
Junior Member
registered user
Newbie TTY font size question
Hi everyone,
I am running a HD install of Knoppix-3.2. It's 99.99% fantastic!!
I compiled & installed my first kernel, 2.6.1, and after some hair-pulling, got it to boot successfully. The one thing that's vexing me is: The TTY font size is huge, and I don't know how to reduce it (toldja it was a newbiw question!). When 2.4.22 boots, the TTY font size is nice & small - Is there a command I can pass the kernel to do this and more than that, a way to automate it?
TIA!!
-
Try putting in your lilo.conf one of this lines:
vga=791 (for 1024x76
or
vga=788 (for 800x600)
or
vga=785 (for 640x400).
Glad if I could help...
-
Junior Member
registered user
Aha! my lilo.conf has 'normal'; I'll try '791' Thanks!
-
dit it work as you expected?
-
Little off topic but probably a similar problem; I used to have knoppix-hd-install on my system with 2.6.0 and I did not see any of the "dmesg-output" until kdm came up. Otherwise the kernel ran just fine. Just curious what might have caused this. any ideas?
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
EmDee
Little off topic but probably a similar problem; I used to have knoppix-hd-install on my system with 2.6.0 and I did not see any of the "dmesg-output" until kdm came up. Otherwise the kernel ran just fine. Just curious what might have caused this. any ideas?
The framebuffer that is being used (vga=791 in the /etc/lilo.conf) is not working with the 2.6 kernel when you boot you should use Linux vga=normal at the lilo screen (change the Linux to whatever is displayed for the kernel being booted) or edit the /etc/lilo.conf and make the change there to be used everytime you boot do not forget to run /sbin/lilo after making the change to have it written to the disk.
-
ok, cool, thanks a lot, I'll remember that for my next 2.6 trial! Are there any compile time options that I should know about regarding this issue?
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
EmDee
ok, cool, thanks a lot, I'll remember that for my next 2.6 trial! Are there any compile time options that I should know about regarding this issue?
If I remember correctly this is what I tracked it down too needing to be set.
Code:
#
# Character devices
#
CONFIG_VT=y
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_HW_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_NONSTANDARD=y
#
# Graphics support
#
CONFIG_FB=y
# CONFIG_FB_CYBER2000 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_IMSTT is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VGA16 is not set
CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
# CONFIG_FB_HGA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_RIVA is not set
#
# Console display driver support
#
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
# CONFIG_MDA_CONSOLE is not set
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_PCI_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FONTS=y
CONFIG_FONT_8x8=y
CONFIG_FONT_8x16=y
# CONFIG_FONT_6x11 is not set
# CONFIG_FONT_PEARL_8x8 is not set
If you want the little penguin logo.
Code:
#
# Logo configuration
#
CONFIG_LOGO=y
# CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_MONO is not set
# CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_VGA16 is not set
CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_CLUT224=y
And if you want the PC speaker to make noise.
Code:
#
# Input Device Drivers
#
CONFIG_INPUT_MISC=y
CONFIG_INPUT_PCSPKR=y
-
Junior Member
registered user
In fact, this was my problem exactly. When I set vga=791 in lilo.conf, no TTY. vga=normal = VGA!!. Still can't get the font size where I want it, but I think I'll wait for a few more revs before I try 2.6 again. I found in X when I opened > 1 konsole, there was serious weirdness ... none of my typing showed up, screen wouldn't clear, etc. Thanks for the sound tip also!!
Similar Threads
-
By Schopenhauer101 in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-27-2005, 11:07 AM
-
By Ptarmigan in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 10
Last Post: 09-07-2004, 05:19 PM
-
By jlowell in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 07-19-2004, 11:00 PM
-
By Schopenhauer101 in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-18-2004, 02:03 PM
-
By Drago in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Seagate Exos 7E8 4TB 3.5" SAS ST4000NM0025
$22.00

Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408
$354.99

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD
$137.59

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$69.00

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD
$29.99

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health
$78.00

HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED
$34.95

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860
$129.99

Seagate Exos X16 ST10000NM010G 10TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e/4Kn HDD
$199.00