Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Newbie TTY font size question

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    It-Lee
    Posts
    15

    Newbie TTY font size question

    Hi everyone,
    I am running a HD install of Knoppix-3.2. It's 99.99% fantastic!!

    I compiled & installed my first kernel, 2.6.1, and after some hair-pulling, got it to boot successfully. The one thing that's vexing me is: The TTY font size is huge, and I don't know how to reduce it (toldja it was a newbiw question!). When 2.4.22 boots, the TTY font size is nice & small - Is there a command I can pass the kernel to do this and more than that, a way to automate it?

    TIA!!

  2. #2
    Try putting in your lilo.conf one of this lines:

    vga=791 (for 1024x76

    or

    vga=788 (for 800x600)

    or

    vga=785 (for 640x400).

    Glad if I could help...

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    It-Lee
    Posts
    15
    Aha! my lilo.conf has 'normal'; I'll try '791' Thanks!

  4. #4
    dit it work as you expected?

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Osnabrück, Germany
    Posts
    95
    Little off topic but probably a similar problem; I used to have knoppix-hd-install on my system with 2.6.0 and I did not see any of the "dmesg-output" until kdm came up. Otherwise the kernel ran just fine. Just curious what might have caused this. any ideas?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by EmDee
    Little off topic but probably a similar problem; I used to have knoppix-hd-install on my system with 2.6.0 and I did not see any of the "dmesg-output" until kdm came up. Otherwise the kernel ran just fine. Just curious what might have caused this. any ideas?
    The framebuffer that is being used (vga=791 in the /etc/lilo.conf) is not working with the 2.6 kernel when you boot you should use Linux vga=normal at the lilo screen (change the Linux to whatever is displayed for the kernel being booted) or edit the /etc/lilo.conf and make the change there to be used everytime you boot do not forget to run /sbin/lilo after making the change to have it written to the disk.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Osnabrück, Germany
    Posts
    95
    ok, cool, thanks a lot, I'll remember that for my next 2.6 trial! Are there any compile time options that I should know about regarding this issue?

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by EmDee
    ok, cool, thanks a lot, I'll remember that for my next 2.6 trial! Are there any compile time options that I should know about regarding this issue?
    If I remember correctly this is what I tracked it down too needing to be set.

    Code:
    #
    # Character devices
    #
    CONFIG_VT=y
    CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
    CONFIG_HW_CONSOLE=y
    CONFIG_SERIAL_NONSTANDARD=y
    
    #
    # Graphics support
    #
    CONFIG_FB=y
    # CONFIG_FB_CYBER2000 is not set
    # CONFIG_FB_IMSTT is not set
    # CONFIG_FB_VGA16 is not set
    CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
    CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
    # CONFIG_FB_HGA is not set
    # CONFIG_FB_RIVA is not set
    
    #
    # Console display driver support
    #
    CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
    # CONFIG_MDA_CONSOLE is not set
    CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
    CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y
    CONFIG_PCI_CONSOLE=y
    CONFIG_FONTS=y
    CONFIG_FONT_8x8=y
    CONFIG_FONT_8x16=y
    # CONFIG_FONT_6x11 is not set
    # CONFIG_FONT_PEARL_8x8 is not set
    If you want the little penguin logo.
    Code:
    #
    # Logo configuration
    #
    CONFIG_LOGO=y
    # CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_MONO is not set
    # CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_VGA16 is not set
    CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_CLUT224=y
    And if you want the PC speaker to make noise.

    Code:
    #
    # Input Device Drivers
    #
    CONFIG_INPUT_MISC=y
    CONFIG_INPUT_PCSPKR=y

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    It-Lee
    Posts
    15
    In fact, this was my problem exactly. When I set vga=791 in lilo.conf, no TTY. vga=normal = VGA!!. Still can't get the font size where I want it, but I think I'll wait for a few more revs before I try 2.6 again. I found in X when I opened > 1 konsole, there was serious weirdness ... none of my typing showed up, screen wouldn't clear, etc. Thanks for the sound tip also!!

Similar Threads

  1. Probably a very newbie question..
    By Schopenhauer101 in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-27-2005, 11:07 AM
  2. Puzzled beginner, question, file size v3.6
    By Ptarmigan in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-07-2004, 05:19 PM
  3. Font Size Or Resolution
    By jlowell in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-19-2004, 11:00 PM
  4. 100% newbie question
    By Schopenhauer101 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-18-2004, 02:03 PM
  5. An easy newbie question - very newbie
    By Drago in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened picture

TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened

$195.00



NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless picture

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless

$25.99



D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord picture

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord

$49.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99