You may be able to get away with a dpkg -i --force-overwrite alsa-utils_0.9.8-1_i386.deb in the /var/cache/apt/archives directory as root, it is only the utilities not the modules so it should work.Originally Posted by fingers99
Any ideas what's happening here? I'm trying to pop on some of the suggested and recommended packages for mplayer: alsa-utils is one of the dependencies. I get:
Unpacking alsa-utils (from .../alsa-utils_0.9.8-1_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/alsa-utils_0.9.8-1_i386.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/alsamixer', which is also in package knx-alsa
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/alsa-utils_0.9.8-1_i386.deb
Ideas welcomed -- does it look like I have to bin knx-alsa and rebuild it from Debian?
You may be able to get away with a dpkg -i --force-overwrite alsa-utils_0.9.8-1_i386.deb in the /var/cache/apt/archives directory as root, it is only the utilities not the modules so it should work.Originally Posted by fingers99
Wierd stuff. I ran as root, natch:
dpkg -i --force-overwrite alsa-utils_0.9.8-1_i386.deb
and got an error about not being able to access package, no such file or directory
(My bad -- I should have read your post properly and cded to the directory! Anyway.........)
So I ran locate and gave it a path:
root@niglo:/home/john# dpkg -i --force-overwritevar/cache/apt/archives/alsa-ut
ils_0.9.8-1_i386.deb
to which it said:
dpkg - warning, overriding problem because --force enabled:
trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/alsamixer', which is also in package knx-alsa
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of alsa-utils:
alsa-utils depends on alsa-base (>= 0.9.2-1); however:
Package alsa-base is not configured yet.
So I did an apt-get install alsa-base and it replied:
Building Dependency Tree... Done
alsa-base is already the newest version.
but it then proceeded to install alsa-utils!
And it looks like its installing the Win32 codecs and libdvdcss2.
![]()
Thanks Stephen!

Genuine IBM ThinkPad Trackpoint Tip Cap Pack 91P8421 NEW OLD STOCK -SEALED - OEM
$8.88
Vintage IBM 5140 PC Convertible Power Supply AC Adapter Charger 2684292 OEM
$39.99
IBM 5763-SS1 R02M00 AS/400 Cumulative PTFS Operating System/400 V3 LOT 6 OEM New
$999.99
2025 NEW Genuine OEM BATTERY for IBM 00Y4643 00Y4594 90Y7689 90Y7632 V3700 V3500
$119.00
IBM OEM Genuine 1969-009 CD Driver Untested As PARTS. Read Description.
$32.99
IBM 6450350 OEM PS/2 2-Button Ball Mouse NEW NOS Made in Japan
$19.99
IBM OEM Genuine 1969-010 CD Driver Untested
$40.49
IBM OEM Model DTTA-371440 14.4 GB 12V 500 A
$70.00
NEW IBM Lenovo T61 14in 4;3 NOT WIDE motherboard T601F FRANKENPAD 44C3924 OEM
$299.95
Genuine IBM ThinkPad Trackpoint Tip Cap Pack 91P8421 NEW OLD STOCK OEM Genuine
$7.99