You may be able to get away with a dpkg -i --force-overwrite alsa-utils_0.9.8-1_i386.deb in the /var/cache/apt/archives directory as root, it is only the utilities not the modules so it should work.Originally Posted by fingers99
Any ideas what's happening here? I'm trying to pop on some of the suggested and recommended packages for mplayer: alsa-utils is one of the dependencies. I get:
Unpacking alsa-utils (from .../alsa-utils_0.9.8-1_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/alsa-utils_0.9.8-1_i386.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/alsamixer', which is also in package knx-alsa
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/alsa-utils_0.9.8-1_i386.deb
Ideas welcomed -- does it look like I have to bin knx-alsa and rebuild it from Debian?
You may be able to get away with a dpkg -i --force-overwrite alsa-utils_0.9.8-1_i386.deb in the /var/cache/apt/archives directory as root, it is only the utilities not the modules so it should work.Originally Posted by fingers99
Wierd stuff. I ran as root, natch:
dpkg -i --force-overwrite alsa-utils_0.9.8-1_i386.deb
and got an error about not being able to access package, no such file or directory
(My bad -- I should have read your post properly and cded to the directory! Anyway.........)
So I ran locate and gave it a path:
root@niglo:/home/john# dpkg -i --force-overwritevar/cache/apt/archives/alsa-ut
ils_0.9.8-1_i386.deb
to which it said:
dpkg - warning, overriding problem because --force enabled:
trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/alsamixer', which is also in package knx-alsa
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of alsa-utils:
alsa-utils depends on alsa-base (>= 0.9.2-1); however:
Package alsa-base is not configured yet.
So I did an apt-get install alsa-base and it replied:
Building Dependency Tree... Done
alsa-base is already the newest version.
but it then proceeded to install alsa-utils!
And it looks like its installing the Win32 codecs and libdvdcss2.
![]()
Thanks Stephen!

Adobe InDesign 1.5 Macintosh Upgrade Vintage Mac Software Big Box Complete
$79.99
Vintage Epson Apex Plus AP3001A Dual 360K Disk Drives PC w/ Epson Apex Keyboard
$249.95
Dell Inspiron E1505 Vintage Laptop – Windows XP – Working
$50.00
VINTAGE COLLECTIBLE Comp USA Maxtor 20 GB 3.5 Inch EIDE Hard Drive NEW SEALED
$500.00
Vintage Apple Newton MessagePad 120 w/ Stylus Flash Card & Software *WORKS*
$99.99
Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95
Sylvania Smartbook SYNET07526 7" Netbook WIN CE Notebook Computer Boxed Vintage
$33.77
Microsoft Small Business Server 2002 X08-61876 Vintage Software on CD with Key
$149.99
Vintage Retro Cyrix 6x86 133mhz 32mb RAM Floppy Combo
$299.00
Sanyo DM 5012CM Solid State Data Display Monitor Working Vintage 1980s 80s
$169.99