-
Senior Member
registered user
Booting from USB external hard Disk... any progress ???
Dear friends,
I know, this question is quite common and lot of people looking for an answer/solution...
Very recently I installed knoppix 3.3 at one of my external USB hard Disk. All went fine BUT when I tried to boot I can see only one L at my screen and then my computer is not responded. (I have installed LILO at the HD MBR (external USB HD) and my BIOS support USB Booting).
Anyway I also tried the Boot floppy Disk but no success.
I know/think that this behaviour is because the floppy's initrd does not load the required modules for USB support (I think this should be done at linuxrc file inside miniroot.gz).
I am very sure that here, in this forum, there are many linux/guru , so I asking for help.
The question is : How can prepare a Linux boot floppy disk based on syslinux or lilo or grub (does n't matter) but with the propper linux kernel (same as 19.11.03 Knoppix 3.3) and the propper/modified initrd in order to load the required USB drivers and then to start/boot my HD installed knoppix (Debian)??? Is there any ready made disk to cover me??? If somebody try to help me, please give me detailed information. I was and I am linux newbie...
Am I asking defficult questions??? ... maybe, sorry.
P.S. I don't looking for a solution like "flonnix-USB" because in that case we have just booting the compressed file system (KNOPPIX file), in my case there is s normal debian style installation.
Best Regards,
Mike Kranidis
Similar Threads
-
By mark.johnson in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-20-2005, 11:07 PM
-
By Mr_White in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-25-2005, 01:26 AM
-
By mbl in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-21-2004, 03:17 PM
-
By Galileo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-11-2004, 05:31 AM
-
By cheelib in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-21-2003, 04:48 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$239.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$319.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14" 16GB 512GB, Black
$313.00

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2 14" 16GB, Thunder Black
$387.46

Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11
$229.99

Lenovo IdeaPad 1 15AMN7 15.6" 8GB 512GB, ABYSS BLUE
$190.99