Did you try commenting out the lines under #enable DMA with hdparm in /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh?
Hi,
I just installed Knoppix onto hard disk, to co-exist with Windows 98 on the other partition. Install went fine but the system hangs with the following text:
hda1 hda2 < hda5 hda6 >
ide late registration of driver
[many lines later]
hda: dma_timer_expiry dma status==0x20
hda: timeout waiting for dma
hda: __idle_dma_test_irq called while not waiting
hda: status error 0x58 {DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest}
hda: drive not ready for command
At this point, the drive LED is lit continuously and I have to hit the reset button.
On rebooting, the system runs fsck, fails to complete, tells me
I need to manually fix the disk and keaves me at the root prompt.
At this point, if I remount /dev/hda all seems to be fine. Using
hdparm I can run disk tests etc, and I can run every program
I need to.
If I shut the system down and restart, I get back to the same
hang problem again.
BTW - hdparm tells me that DMA on the HDD is off. I don't see
any difference setting it on, nor does BIOS appear to affect things.
Any suggestions greatly received.
--mco
Did you try commenting out the lines under #enable DMA with hdparm in /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh?
I suspect either a cabling/jumpering error (don't set the drives using cable select, set them to "slave" and "master": use the end connectors for the master or motherboard, the middle one for slave) or that the bios (take a look under automatic recognition if hard drives -- often the first "item" on the bios lists) isn't set to the device being DMA.
Windows (especially 9*) is very tolerant of cabling/jumpering errors, Linux uses hardware harder, so can't be.
Thanks
Commenting out the enabling of DMA in bootmisc.sh did the trick.
Up and running. Yay!
--mco

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-768GB +384GB - 656-0119/ 656-0120
$69.99
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$155.00
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25
1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99
SK hynix PC801 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 x4 Internal SSD HFS512GDE9X081N
$90.00
Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73