-
Junior Member
registered user
"Drive not ready for command" error?
Hi,
I just installed Knoppix onto hard disk, to co-exist with Windows 98 on the other partition. Install went fine but the system hangs with the following text:
hda1 hda2 < hda5 hda6 >
ide late registration of driver
[many lines later]
hda: dma_timer_expiry dma status==0x20
hda: timeout waiting for dma
hda: __idle_dma_test_irq called while not waiting
hda: status error 0x58 {DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest}
hda: drive not ready for command
At this point, the drive LED is lit continuously and I have to hit the reset button.
On rebooting, the system runs fsck, fails to complete, tells me
I need to manually fix the disk and keaves me at the root prompt.
At this point, if I remount /dev/hda all seems to be fine. Using
hdparm I can run disk tests etc, and I can run every program
I need to.
If I shut the system down and restart, I get back to the same
hang problem again.
BTW - hdparm tells me that DMA on the HDD is off. I don't see
any difference setting it on, nor does BIOS appear to affect things.
Any suggestions greatly received.
--mco
Similar Threads
-
By MrBigTime in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-14-2005, 11:35 AM
-
By MrBigTime in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-14-2005, 01:42 AM
-
By bladeraptor in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-26-2003, 12:11 PM
-
By creicks in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-16-2003, 02:04 PM
-
By geebee2000 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 9
Last Post: 05-21-2003, 07:29 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Dell Precision T5820 950W Workstation 4.00GHz W-2125 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$144.98

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 32GB No GPU/ HDD/ OS DISCOUNTED
$363.94

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00