Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: FAT32 formatting?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15

    FAT32 formatting?

    I tried formatting a 120GB FAT32 partition with Knoppix3.3's mkfs.vfat (which then calls mkdosfs, I think) and later with mkdosfs too, for a dual-boot machine. However, both of these returned within about ten seconds, clearly without having formatted the partition.

    Do these tools not work under Knoppix? Or are they limited like Microsoft's tools are?? (FAT32 can theoretically handle up to a few terabytes, but Microsloth's versions under Win2K and WinXP are deliberately limited to 32GB. Under Win95/98, the FDISK program has a rollover problem with drives over 70GB -- they think an 80GB drive only has about 11GB, and a 120GB drive has just 51GB.)

    BTW, I also tried PartitionMagic, which was royally screwed up. Yes, I used it "correctly"; no, it doesn't work.

    Can anyone recommend a set of (free) tools that will let me format the whole drive as one giant partition?

    Thanks, LGL

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    I guess I'll try this one out...

    I have Knoppix 3.3, and I only have a 41 gig HD, so this may not help, considering I haven't hit the "high end" yet.

    But, does CFDisk allow you to "see" the full drive? Can cfdisk break the drive into smaller partitions? I am just thinking that cfdisk comes with the 3.3 CD, so, if this hasn't already been tried, it is a tool already in your arsenal. (from what I hear though, cfdisk would be used to break-down the drive into smaller partitions, one being a FAT, and afterwords, using a Windoze recovery disk to format its own partition is best. A big thing I've heard here is, let each OS format its own partitions, at least)

    Considering that, someday, I am probably going to be up to around this sizable hard drive, this issue is of interest to me too, and I am very surprised that Linux hasn't already "anticipated" this situation. (not really surprised that M$ hasn't, just considering M$ in general, that is.)

    Just some thoughts, probably lame, but thoughts none the less,
    Cuddles

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    Considering that, someday, I am probably going to be up to around this sizable hard drive, this issue is of interest to me too, and I am very surprised that Linux hasn't already "anticipated" this situation. (not really surprised that M$ hasn't, just considering M$ in general, that is.)


    Cuddles
    Linux will partition and format a 120gb dirve for it's own use fine I believe IIRC that you get problems around 160gb if your BIOS does not support the LBA48 addressing that is needed.
    Code:
    HappyTux:/home/stephen# fdisk -l
    
    Disk /dev/hda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    
       Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/hda1               1          62      497983+  82  Linux swap
    /dev/hda2   *          63         670     4883760   83  Linux
    /dev/hda3             671        1886     9767520   83  Linux
    /dev/hda4            1887       14593   102068977+   5  Extended
    /dev/hda5            1887        7965    48829536   83  Linux
    /dev/hda6            7966       14593    53239378+  83  Linux
    
    Disk /dev/hdb: 40.0 GB, 40037760000 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4867 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    
       Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/hdb1               1          32      257008+  82  Linux swap
    /dev/hdb2   *          33         640     4883760   83  Linux
    /dev/hdb3             641        1856     9767520   83  Linux
    /dev/hdb4            1857        4867    24185857+  83  Linux

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Linux will partition and format a 120gb dirve for it's own use fine I believe IIRC that you get problems around 160gb if your BIOS does not support the LBA48 addressing that is needed.
    I'm running a 200GB disk right now, the BIOS in my box doesn't get the size of it right but since the root partition is in the "visible" area lilo manages to start the kernel anyway. The kernel recognizes the size correctly, no problems so far.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by windos_no_thanks
    I'm running a 200GB disk right now, the BIOS in my box doesn't get the size of it right but since the root partition is in the "visible" area lilo manages to start the kernel anyway. The kernel recognizes the size correctly, no problems so far.
    Ah! just like my 40gb used to be in my old machine I could only see 32 from the bios and had to set a jumper to tell it so to boot with the drive but linux could see the rest.

Similar Threads

  1. Formatting a CD with Knoppix.
    By Chuckbaker in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-07-2004, 09:25 PM
  2. Formatting of failed?
    By dresac in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-07-2004, 09:40 AM
  3. Formatting/Partitioning HDD
    By Ritchie in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-10-2004, 10:46 AM
  4. Formatting
    By Spike in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-07-2003, 05:51 PM
  5. Anybody been successful formatting w/ xfs?
    By rickenbacherus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-19-2003, 08:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Cisco IP Phone CP-8821 No Battery C2-F3 picture

Cisco IP Phone CP-8821 No Battery C2-F3

$185.00



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$400.00



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Yealink SIP-T44W VoIP Phone 12-Line Gigabit Speakerphone RJ-45 Gray/Black picture

Yealink SIP-T44W VoIP Phone 12-Line Gigabit Speakerphone RJ-45 Gray/Black

$44.00



5 Allworx Verge 9312 VoIP IP Phone 12-Line Speakerphone Black RJ-45 MPN 8113120 picture

5 Allworx Verge 9312 VoIP IP Phone 12-Line Speakerphone Black RJ-45 MPN 8113120

$999.00



Yealink T53W Black IP Phone Verizon VoIP LOT OF 4   Business Desk Phone picture

Yealink T53W Black IP Phone Verizon VoIP LOT OF 4 Business Desk Phone

$150.00



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



NEW Cisco Mitel 6930 IP Phone VoIP Business Phone Black Sealed picture

NEW Cisco Mitel 6930 IP Phone VoIP Business Phone Black Sealed

$89.99