Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Using Knoppix with a DVD burner

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5

    Using Knoppix with a DVD burner

    My machine has Windows XP installed, with two NTFS formatted hard drives.
    From what I've read, there is a bug with Knoppix that will not allow me to write to an NTFS formatted drive, at least not without the risk of corrupting data.

    I'm wondering if I could boot to Knoppix, and use a DVD+RW (or even a CD-RW) disc as a small hard drive (should be sufficient for my needs)?

    And if this is possible, can I save configuration settings on this disk, such that when I boot into Knoppix, my preferences apply?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    The reason Knoppix won't allow you to write to NTFS is that M$ refuses to publish the specs for it so nobody knows for sure how to handle it.
    Using optical DVD+/-RW or CD-RW would not be smart even if it was made possible, they can not take very many write/erase cycles before failing. Get yourself a USB memory dongle instead.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4
    I would recommend using the persistent home directory feature and a usb thumb drive. It has worked great for me. At boot time I just pass

    knoppix home=/dev/sda1

    to the kernel at boot time. If you need more storage, you could always grab a usb hard drive or salvage a small IDE drive from an old system some where.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5
    Problem is, no space on my IDE chains to put a new (old) HD in and no money to buy new hardware..

    I take it that the DVD thing won't work at all? Damn.. guess it's SSHing for me..

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4
    You could also try resizing the an existing NTFS partition to make room for a linux one or a vfat one. I have used QTparted before and it seemed to work. Here is a link:

    http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html

    Also, I believe is possible to do what you originally suggested, but I think the random write to dvd/cd are dicey in linux. I have never tried it myself, but if you do, let me know how it works.

    http://lists.debian.org/cdwrite/2003.../msg00014.html

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Iowa U.S.A.
    Posts
    226
    Hi d_jedi,

    Packet writting that would allow treating media
    as a rw disk is not yet developed to KNOPPIX.

    I do boot KNOPPIX from a floppy disk and CD drive
    and use a second USB DVD RW to hold my data.
    This is not a high powered solution but fills
    a useful purpose for computing without a
    hard drive.

    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/BurnHome

    Best Wishes
    paradocs

Similar Threads

  1. Does Knoppix come with Burner Software...?
    By HavocT in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-08-2005, 12:21 AM
  2. K3B - Can't find CD Burner
    By delamatrix in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-04-2005, 11:31 PM
  3. K3B CD burner
    By Chuckbaker in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-09-2004, 07:48 PM
  4. CD burner software
    By alfredoj69 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-11-2004, 10:58 PM
  5. CD-Burner
    By ferreter in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-21-2003, 02:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.66