-
Junior Member
registered user
Knoppix or Libranet???
Newbie here.
I have both Knoppix 3.3 2003 11/19 and Libranet 2.7 "Classic".
I've read Distrowatches reports on both and a selection of reviews. Both distros seem knoble I can find knothing that makes either choice overpowering.
As I understand, either will give me a live and official Debian install and if I feel that I'm missing anything important, I can get it from Debian via apt and it will install just fine. Is that correct?
Anyone have any reasons why one or the other would be better? I realize I'm on a Knoppix forum and there's likely to be some enthusiam for the home team, but bring it on
I've got hdb1 and hda5 just waiting.
I do knotice that this forum is much more active than that on Libranet.
TIA/The Fader
-
Senior Member
registered user
The Fader,
No bias here... I was tossed, back about four weeks ago, on similar subjects.
I was tossing around Knoppix, Red Hat, Mandrake, Debian, and sorry to say, I just heard about Libranet, so it wasn't in my running thoughts.
I was leaning on the Mandrake 9.2, oh, by the way, you are correct about the apt-get, if you can find it, you can get it - pretty simple in fact. ( done many of them, with games, screensavers, etc...
)
I had the Knoppix 3.2 Live CD, from a friend, and only knew one thing: I was going to instal on my new system, some form of Linux. ( I was floored by the Live CD )
I was having my new system "specialy built" to run some form of Linux, trying not to get hard-wired motherboard devices, not supported by Linux (flavors), and buying the "hardware" equivalents that DID run in it.
Deciding factor, for me, was that I HAD knoppix in hand, already. I even got the guy at the computer hardware store to download and burn a Knoppix 3.3 for me
But, thats me, for you, I would think... What do you want your OS to do for you? I found Knoppix did DVD playing, CD Audio - both playing and creating, burning cd's, and even included development software. It had web browsers, email, chat programs, instant messageing, and it supported a lot of what I had already.
Last thing, considering any choice, as you pointed out, what makes them so different when you can apt-get most everything that may be missing from one or the other, is: How do they look, and feel? In Knioppix, you can use KDE or DEBIAN, both being GUI's, the look and feel is different for each. ( I prefer the KDE, since I used the Live CD and got used to it )
I know, this is starting to sound bias, isn't it? Well, I honestly said, I never saw LibraNet, and I have seen Debian, Red Hat, and Mandrake. I think I made the right choice, going for Knoppix, that is. But thats me. This is probably a good reason why Knoppix, and what I hear, Mandrake now, come in a Live CD version - so you can boot them up, and take them for a test drive.
Does LibraNet come as a Live CD? If so, why not try them out, as a test drive? Boot them both up, try them both out, and see, as I said earlier, which one works for YOU.
I guess this all comes down to choice, your choice. I could "push" the "malt wine" on you for days about Knoppix this, and Knoppix that, but, you are the one that will have to live with it, so, I'm going to go wishy-washy on you here, and leave you with, you pick 
Just the rantings of a newbie Linux user (yes, another one!)
Cuddles
-
Senior Member
registered user
Ok, you got my curiousity here...
I looked at the screen shots from the LibraNet home page, nice, very nice interface, looks just like Knoppix, in some ways, and different in others. Basically, they look identical as far as features. Maybe, what interested me most, is the "ease of installation", and if it includes easier forms of setup and configurations. But, that is all kind of water under the bridge, for me, decision has been made already, and I am learning what I need to get what I need to do, done.

Cuddles
-
Junior Member
registered user
Yeah,
I ended up installing knoppix and playing around with it. I won't have a real modem until near the end of the week or maybe next week, so I can't do what I use a computer for most. My knoppix 3.3 install was relatively easy after I got the console figured out; however, there were a bunch of decompression errors plus a few others. None of these seem to be fatal, but I'm going to get a CD from a T1 at the local university.
Since I have this time, and I now know I can reinstall knoppix, I'm going to install Libranet 2.70, likely tomorrow and see what it feels like. I'd expect not to see much difference in KDE.
Cheers/Fader
Similar Threads
-
By The Fader in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-21-2004, 08:29 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$89.95

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$41.19

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Datacenter 64Bit 24 Core 50 cal Freeshipping
$54.99