Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Live CD Shutdown Problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2

    Live CD Shutdown Problem

    After knoppix live CD shuts my system down and I power on my system again, I get no POST, no beeps, nothing except power indicator light and harddrive indicator light on steadily. If I then power down, unplug the powercord from the PC and wait for a 10-count, then power up again, everything is normal and I boot to Win2k. Even unplugging from outlet doesn't seem to work--I have to disconnect the powercord from the PC.

    I'm trying various live cd's to see what I like before I actually install a distro, and so far knoppix is the only one that does this. I've tried several times to be sure it wasn't a fluke. While this won't be an ongoing problem, I'm curious about why it might be happening.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Live CD Shutdown Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by ebrke
    After knoppix live CD shuts my system down and I power on my system again, I get no POST, no beeps, nothing except power indicator light and harddrive indicator light on steadily. If I then power down, unplug the powercord from the PC and wait for a 10-count, then power up again, everything is normal and I boot to Win2k. Even unplugging from outlet doesn't seem to work--I have to disconnect the powercord from the PC.

    I'm trying various live cd's to see what I like before I actually install a distro, and so far knoppix is the only one that does this. I've tried several times to be sure it wasn't a fluke. While this won't be an ongoing problem, I'm curious about why it might be happening.
    Let me guess you have a Dell if so they have buggy BIOS's and some machines do not like Knoppix.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2
    Thanks for your response. You're right--Dell Optiplex 260. Buggy BIOS,really? Guess mine is one of the ones that doesn't like Knoppix.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    27
    Hi, same problem with compaq 1211ca, older model though. My toshiba p20 gpv does joes fine.

    I hate having almost no control in the bios in these notebook computers. You can't turn off video shadowing or anything. Just boot sequence order and stuff along those lines.

Similar Threads

  1. Cursor problem with live CD please help.
    By jeremy in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-24-2005, 05:52 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 05:46 AM
  3. Shutdown Problem with 3.4/5-10:Please Help!(SOLVED)
    By bongski55 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-21-2004, 08:30 AM
  4. boot problem - immediate shutdown
    By Area Man in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-17-2003, 10:27 PM
  5. shutdown problem
    By alekhine in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-07-2003, 01:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$71.49



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ... picture

MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ...

$89.99



ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series picture

ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series

$235.99



ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard picture

ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard

$351.99