-
Knoppix Audigy 2 & ATI
Hi, I am very impressed with Knoppix and was extremely surprised that it was able to correctly configure the SPDIF out on my Audigy 2 sound card. (Well all I had to do was type alsa at the boot prompt).
It is just a shame there wasn't a similar option to configure my ATI 9800 Pro video card. (I mean really there are only two players that count for video acceleration and that is Nvidia and ATI, so you wouldn't think including the correct drivers would be such a hard thing to do).
Well anyway, I was wondering if I did a hard disk install, would I be able to have the same great hardware detection set up by default the way it is on the CD? Specifically would it be a very complicated task to have Knoppix automatically configure SPDIF out for me? I'm afraid I don't have any conventional speaker cable. How would I do this without having to specify that Knoppix should use the alsa driver at the boot prompt?
Also, how hard is it, what do I have to do to install the latest ATI video drivers? In most other distributions I tried (except Gentoo) doing this was a real pain - and I never quite managed to do it. Having SPDIF sound and accelerated video working would be something of a first in Linux for me.
Any input anyone can offer is very welcome.
GJ
-
Re: Knoppix Audigy 2 & ATI

Originally Posted by
raid517
Well anyway, I was wondering if I did a harddisk install, would I be able to have the same great hardware detection set up by default the way it is on the CD? Specifically would it be a very complicated task to have Knoppix autonatically configure SPDIF out for me? I'm afraid I don't have any conventional speaker cable. How would I do this without having to specify that Knoppix should use the alsa driver at the boot prompt?
Yes, you can have the same autodetection on a hd-installed knoppix. You will see "knoppix style" and "debian style" somewhere in the installer. Knoppix style uses the same autodetection the cd uses.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Knoppix Audigy 2 & ATI

Originally Posted by
raid517
Hi, I am very impressed with Knoppix and was extremely suprised that it was able to correctly configure the SPDIF out on my Audigy 2 sound card. (Well all I had to do was type alsa at the boot prompt).
It is just a shame there wasn't a similar option to configure my ATI 9800 Pro video card. (I mean really there are only two players that count for video accelearation and that is Nvidia and ATI, so you wouldn't think including the correct drivers would be such a hard thing to do).
Well anyway, I was wondering if I did a harddisk install, would I be able to have the same great hardware detection set up by default the way it is on the CD? Specifically would it be a very complicated task to have Knoppix autonatically configure SPDIF out for me? I'm afraid I don't have any conventional speaker cable. How would I do this without having to specify that Knoppix should use the alsa driver at the boot prompt?
Also, how hard is it, what do I have to do to install the latest ATI video drivers? In most other distributions I tried (except Gentoo) doing this was a real pain - and I never quite managed to do it. Having SPDIF sound and accelearated video working would be something of a first in Linux for me.
Any input anyone can offer is very welcome.
GJ
Once you install to the HD for the alsa you can use /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig to have alsa configured then you would either use the alsamixer in a console window to set the default volumes or edit the file /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh and put the line aumix -w 75 -v 75 near the bottom of the file to have the defaults set from there on boot. And for the graphics card if it is supported by the ATI drivers then you can use Kano's script to download and install the driver never tried the ati one but the nvidia worked fine on my test machine.
-
Dude getting SPDIF (and also the ATI drivers) to work has always been a nightmare in Linux for me. How easy is it to get SPDIF out working on an Audigy 2? I'm sure it can't be as straighforward as just increasing the volume on the SPDIF line?
Also oddly (although it's no bid deal), I appear to have SPDIF out sound working on alsamixer through a channel titled 'Wave out'. Why wave out and not PCM, or 'Digital', or something else?
The only big problem I can see with the sound ATM is that I can't change the master volume control in the task bar for another mixer control that I choose, which (since it works as a master volume control) in my case would be this 'wave out' channel.
It would be cool to be able to select your own individual taskbar mixer control.
GJ
Similar Threads
-
By Dark-Prophecy in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 14
Last Post: 12-24-2003, 03:21 PM
-
By OmegaOne in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 12-09-2003, 02:25 PM
-
By Grendel in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-28-2003, 11:53 PM
-
By flailer in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-10-2003, 01:57 AM
-
By ChronoStriker1 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-01-2003, 09:48 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$34.01