Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Is my memory Gone?!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3

    Is my memory Gone?!

    Hi, I am a newbie to Linux and not very computer hightech. I got the Knoppix CD and proceeded with trying it out. I loaded into it fine the first time I tried but when I was using it on KDE all the icons and everything disappeared randomly. I didn't know what happened so I tried to shut it down. I couldn't figure out how to shutdown the system, though, so finally I just hit the button on my CPU.

    The problem is that now when I try to load into Knoppix with the CD I get errors about a lack of memory for running KDE. It says I need 85 memory. My RAM should have like 125 at the least, but I am wondering if shutting down Knoppix screwed up my RAM. What should I do and how do I fix this? Thanks, any info will really help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    PCalitracck,

    First, not too sure how "hightech" you are here, but, the only thing I can think of...

    Considering you were running off the CD, nothing "should" have hit your hard drive, so, chances are, your hard drive is safe and sound. As for the memory issue...

    The only thing I can think of is that, somehow, during the hard-reset, your BIOS may have gotten lost. Have you just tried to look at your BIOS? In simple terms, when your computer is booting, while it shows the memory on the boot screen, look for something like: Press DEL to go to Advanced Settings, or something like that - it could be DEL, or F1, or any other forms of keypresses. Get into your BIOS, and the first screen in your BIOS, usually GENERAL SETTINGS, will show your memory, non-changable, plus the date, time, and other stuff. If things look good, go directly to SAVE SETTINGS, don't touch anything - simple terms here - you don't want to change anything, you just want to "refresh" your BIOS settings.

    Try booting Knoppix again, if you have another operating system, you might try it as well, this is a "dual" testing idea - do both operating systems report the same problems? Or is it just Knoppix?

    Hopefully this helps you a little, at least until the "big guns" reply here
    Cuddles

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3
    I wen to the BIOS settings and everything looked fine I think... Base Memory was 640KB and Extended Memory was 126MB... I am running Windows 2000 as my main OS and it works fine... I tried Knoppix 2 times after the initial failure before posting this message and I will go try it again and then report back... Thanks for your help.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3
    It is working again!!! Thanks alot! Whatever it did in the BIOS thing did the trick... I specifically saw Knoppix say it recognized 126MB of memory this time and I am using it write now to write this message.. everything is working great again.. THANKS! Sorry for being such a newb...I'll figure this out one of these days.. hehe

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    PCalitracck,

    Great

    btw - I was guessing on that one. I have had, many, occasions that "something" just gets the BIOS wacky [wacky? stupid word to use here], and by just going in and saving it back out, it tends to get things working again - don't know why though - because the information is correct when you come into the BIOS, possibly some "backup" copy of it or something - kind of like the backup copy of your FAT, if they are not sync'ed the same, a lot of OS's get wierded out about it. (Windoze is that way)

    Hopefully, it won't happen again, but if it does, you might try this trick again - as I said - sometimes a little BIOS refresh helps

    Glad I helped you out on this one, and that your back up and running,
    Cuddles

Similar Threads

  1. Mount USB Memory?
    By bob151 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-11-2005, 11:26 PM
  2. Mounting a USB memory stick
    By pjafrombbay in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-03-2005, 06:58 AM
  3. Knoppix with low memory?
    By billyjobob in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-04-2003, 07:17 AM
  4. USB Memory
    By pro-logic in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-14-2003, 10:26 PM
  5. 1 GB memory boot ISO image run entirely from memory?
    By rrolsbe in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-12-2003, 09:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$225.00



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



HP ProLiant DL385 Gen10 Plus V2 2U Server 2x 2.5

HP ProLiant DL385 Gen10 Plus V2 2U Server 2x 2.5" 2x EPYC 7601 2.2GHz 2x M.2 1TB

$3500.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$169.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50