Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Got Modem wish to surf with Knoppix ...

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    37

    Got Modem wish to surf with Knoppix ...

    Can anyone tell me if my internal Intel Ham Fax Modem will work under Knoppix (3.2).I have read a lot of threads and it all seems very complicated ... can I install my Modem under KDE or do I need drivers and is installing them very easy ?

    Is it not true that one of the most important things for many PC's is Surfing the Web & Email so why is not made more easy to do...

    I have managed with help to get my printer,screen and sound working so I hope to soon be able to surf under Knoppix or is this just a dream.......

    Has anybody else out there had the same problems and if so have they managed to connect to the Web (and How!)

    D.Templer

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Northridge, California
    Posts
    48

    There are drivers for it I think.

    http://www.modem-help.co.uk/chips/int536.html

    Not sure it that is it, but it looks like there is a driver for it. In linux for something like this, it is hard until you do it once.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1

    536EP modem ?

    Looking for more help with this modem. Followed the install instructions from Intel. (kernal source and Dev tools installed)
    make clean, make 536ep, make install
    Works but on rebooting I get assorted errors on loading. result- no modem!
    Can anyone give me some direction in newbie speak? I hate to say it but I'm almost beaten! Save me from going back to Mr Microsoft!


  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    37

    Modem

    Hi Got Drivers is it best to put on floppy? and how do you get to unpack as instructed?

    login as ROOT
    extract the archive into a directory with "tar -zxvf <file>.tgz"
    type : make clean
    type :make 536ep
    type : make install

    being a very new to linux I have come unstuck can anybody show me the way????


    D.T.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Posts
    16
    Help with Serial Modems anyone?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2

    Re: 536EP modem ?

    Installing such a modem in Knoppix is not as easy as installing it in ordinary Linux-environments, because Knoppix normally boots from a compressed image, which contains all programs and stuff. This image is always mounted as read-only, even if it's located on a hard disk (I think it's, because of the compression interface's capabilities, not possible to handle otherways). So you can hardly change the configuration for your Knoppix and you can't tell him to integrate the ham(modem)-driver-module into his kernel-modules-system. You could only load such a module, if it is contained in the distribution itself (I guess it isn't). The only possibility seems to be, that You can remaster the distribution, which means to decompress all files from the image, change config, and "recompress". Of course it's not that easy....

    Bad luck for us newbies!

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    106
    I got my lucent winmodem working from the info in this good post:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2050

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2
    I made a knx-hdinstall and mounted the root rw, so I could easily install the modem drivers by source compile. Remastering should be the next step...

Similar Threads

  1. CELL PHONE as USB MODEM to surf the web SprintPCS Sanyo 4900
    By WB7ODYFred in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 10:04 PM
  2. I can not surf the net
    By spottyrover in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 12:06 AM
  3. Cannot surf Internet
    By hal8000 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-18-2005, 07:44 PM
  4. Modem connects, but I still can't surf the net
    By WolfBLN in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2004, 06:25 AM
  5. Surf internet through a Webramp router/hub
    By katrina1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-22-2003, 02:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations  Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981 picture

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981

$295.00



Vintage Apple Design Keyboard Model M2980 Macintosh 1994 Untested picture

Vintage Apple Design Keyboard Model M2980 Macintosh 1994 Untested

$28.49



Vintage Apple Macintosh LC M0350 Desktop No Harddrive No Power Supply - Parts picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh LC M0350 Desktop No Harddrive No Power Supply - Parts

$71.95



Lot of 64 Apple II IIe IIc 5.25” Floppy Disk Games Software Utilities Vintage picture

Lot of 64 Apple II IIe IIc 5.25” Floppy Disk Games Software Utilities Vintage

$39.00



Retro Vintage Apple M0110A Compact Wired Mechanical keyboard for Macintosh Plus picture

Retro Vintage Apple M0110A Compact Wired Mechanical keyboard for Macintosh Plus

$64.95



Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB - M0001A W/ Keyboard, 2 Mice, 800K HD, + More picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB - M0001A W/ Keyboard, 2 Mice, 800K HD, + More

$300.00



Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed picture

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed

$69.95



Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A

$150.00



Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9

Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand

$275.00



Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681 picture

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681

$299.99