Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Orinoco monitor mode

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3

    Orinoco monitor mode

    I've looked all over google for existing questions on this topic, but it all comes down to the fact that iwpriv in Knoppix 3.2 doesn't show my Orinoco Silver card as having a monitor feature. Since these drivers are set in stone on the CD and are supposedly already patched, what can I do to fix this? I've also tried (to no avail) my Netgear card, which seems to be a Prism2, but I figured it was more likely to get the Orinoco going at this point.

    I've tried kismet_monitor, resetting the card, reinserting it, "iwpriv monitor 2 6", etc. Nothing ever gives me the idea that the orinoco even knows what monitor mode is. I'm using flash software 8.10 on the Orinoco card, and I'm logged in as root while messing around with this stuff.

    # iwpriv
    lo no private icotls
    eth1 Available private ioctl:
    force_reset (8BE0) : set 0 ...
    card_reset ...
    set_port3 ...
    get_port3 ...
    set_preamble ...
    get_preamble ...
    set_ibssport ...
    get_ibssport ...

    Notice that "monitor" isn't listed. Is there a way to confirm that the system is trying to use the patched drivers for the orinoco and not some other kind? Should the card be inserted or removed at boot? Help!

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    42
    I have orinoco and prism2 wireless cards and they both work with kismet in Knoppix 3.3. Like your situation they would not work with 3.2.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3

    Awesome

    Upgrading to 3.3 worked perfectly. Thanks for the tip.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3

    Airsnort problems

    Okay, now that I've got monitor mode working, I'm interested in getting airsnort to work, but so far I only get "can't set monitor mode" errors. Kismet runs just fine, and everything else about the monitor mode of the card seems happy, but no dice on airsnort. Actually, if I run airsnort as root, it segfaults as soon as I tell it to start. I've tried running it with the card already in monitor mode, but to no avail.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    42
    In airsnort make sure you have the 'Network Device' box with the correct wireless network interface and also the correct 'Card Type".

Similar Threads

  1. ipw2200 and Monitor mode
    By Irongeek in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-08-2005, 04:21 PM
  2. Monitor/PC go into standby mode after a few minutes...
    By MasterRyu in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-12-2005, 02:54 AM
  3. Cisco Systems 350 and Monitor mode
    By rubic_cube in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 06:02 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-04-2005, 01:52 AM
  5. Cisco 350 pci in monitor mode
    By zlm_us in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-28-2004, 02:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



Samsung Galaxy Book2 360 (NP730QED-KA1US) **Broken Screen/For Parts** picture

Samsung Galaxy Book2 360 (NP730QED-KA1US) **Broken Screen/For Parts**

$225.00



New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW picture

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW

$120.00



Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7

Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7" 4GB Wi-Fi + Verizon Tablet Working

$30.00



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung  picture

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung

$89.99



Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem picture

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem

$98.99



NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue picture

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue

$225.77