Quote Originally Posted by Uwe Brauer
given all the problems with a RPM based distribution expressed by the countless complains in say linuxtoday.com, I think to base the distribution on debian is a very good idea.
Well, rpm is not that troublesome but apt-get is still a whole lot better as a package manager and easier too, methinks!
Quote Originally Posted by Uwe Brauer
Since debian is a little awkward in the installation (at least when I tried woody a year ago) especially if it comes to hardware detection, Knoppix might become (may be unwillingly) a wild card.
Yeah, I agree with you, seems that everybody likes apt-get and the high quality of debian packages, yet most hate the installer and it's total lack of hardware detection. I have successfully installed debian-woody once (maybe twice) and I must say that the installer is very *powerful* if you know what you are doing but it scares most newbies away. IIRC, there's a new debian installer on the way and there's also a port of the redhat installer to debian at http://platform.progeny.com/anaconda/.

Cheers