Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: GeForce FX5200 - No X

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Osnabrück, Germany
    Posts
    95

    GeForce FX5200 - No X

    I have a very weird problem here; I have two systems here at home, one (A) is an athlon 1.4Ghz on a ECS K7S5A (rev.3) mobo with 256Mb of (good, Nanya) DDR-ram, a Creative sb128 (onboard audio has way too low output for my amp), a GeForce 2 ti, a 80Gb Western Digital hd on the first IDE controller and two optical drives on the secondary IDE controller.
    The other system (B), my brothers actually, is basically the same; same mobo, bios version and settings. The difference is that it's got a 1Ghz athlon, 256Mb of (cheap but good) generic SD-ram (mobo supports both kinds of ram), a smaller hd, a GeForce FX5200 and no PCI soundcard.

    So I recently upgraded from a GeForce 2 mx400 to a FX5200 because the old card had gone bad (prolly bad memory) and, guess what, can't run Knoppix anymore, at least not with X...
    So far I have tried "xmodule=fbdev/vesa", tried to specify the screen resolution and refresh rate, "nodcc" and whatnot but Knoppix always hangs at the point where it should start the x-server. BTW, "failsafe" brought me a little futher; it looks like the x-server is actually being started but after a couple screen refreshs it says "no suitable x-server found" or something like that.

    I'm really running out of ideas here, I mean I could always plug in another graphics card but thats not really the solution I'm looking for. And it's not the bios settings either; I made sure to disable acpi as I know that it causes data corruption, IDE devices not being found and all kinds of funny stuff depending on kernel version on this mobo...

    anyway, I NEED HELP! any idea appreciated!

    p.s.: has anybody else noticed that the syslinux prompt is all blue on the ECs K7S5A? Looks ok on any other system I've run knoppix on though

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    252
    Install nvidia drivers ....
    Use the search option from knoppix site to have more info on how to install ....

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Osnabrück, Germany
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by ktheking
    Install nvidia drivers ....
    Use the search option from knoppix site to have more info on how to install ....
    Is this really the only route to go? I thought the generic "nv"-driver that comes with X should be good for all nvidia cards, though it's not accelerated?! Er, nevermind, its not listed on the xfree site, so.. But fbdev should still be ok for unsupported cards, right?

    Well, that doesn't really help me much but I'll see if I have some remaster around that includes nvidia drivers.
    Thanks anyway!

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Osnabrück, Germany
    Posts
    95
    Just booted http://www.slax.org on the machine and X magically works fine here. No nvidia drivers included, just confused the heck out of me

Similar Threads

  1. Geforce FX 5900 DVI Problem
    By Melfice in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-04-2004, 03:46 PM
  2. geforce 4 mx 440 nv-driver and tv-out how to?
    By sebke in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-07-2004, 07:05 PM
  3. Help with geForce 4 with Knoppix 3.3
    By raduen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-13-2003, 08:40 PM
  4. GeForce 5200
    By Jim Shoe in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-02-2003, 10:27 PM
  5. nVidia GeForce MX 200
    By prtsoft in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-27-2003, 04:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$7.99



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



Wholesale Sale 10/ 30/ 50/100pcs 256MB Metal Swivel USB Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale Sale 10/ 30/ 50/100pcs 256MB Metal Swivel USB Flash Drive Memory Stick

$165.90