Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Upgraded Kernel Won't Compile

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    18

    Upgraded Kernel Won't Compile

    I am a newbie dual booting Windows & Linux (from Knoppix) & trying
    to upgrade my kernel from 2.4.22-xfs to 2.4.25 or 2.6.3 but the new
    kernel won't compile. It seems to work OK for awhile but then it ends
    with an error. I have tried many times & I get slightly different errors
    each time (usually "internal compiler error: Segmentation fault"). It
    did work once but the kernel wouldn't boot (framebuffer console, VESA
    & VGA16 options were not enabled). This is how 2 recent attempts ended:

    Code:
    In file included from include/linux/gfp.h:4,
                     from include/linux/slab.h:15,
                     from include/linux/percpu.h:4,
                     from include/linux/sched.h:31,
                     from include/linux/module.h:10,
                     from fs/nls/nls_cp852.c:10:
    include/linux/mmzone.h:338: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
    Please submit a full bug report,
    with preprocessed source if appropriate.
    See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
    make[3]: *** [fs/nls/nls_cp852.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [fs/nls] Error 2
    make[1]: *** [fs] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.3'
    make: *** [stamp-build] Error 2
    Code:
    In file included from include/linux/device.h:22,
                     from include/linux/genhd.h:15,
                     from include/linux/blkdev.h:6,
                     from fs/hfs/super.c:31:
    include/linux/pm.h:239: internal compiler error: Illegal instruction
    Please submit a full bug report,
    with preprocessed source if appropriate.
    See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
    make[3]: *** [fs/hfs/super.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [fs/hfs] Error 2
    make[1]: *** [fs] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.3'
    make: *** [stamp-build] Error 2
    I tried downgrading gcc from 3.3.3 to 2.95-4 but that didn't work either.
    I couldn't find a package for 2.95-3 & I couldn't compile the 2.95-3
    source. I was able to compile 2.6.3 using the Knoppix live CD but it
    took an extremely long time & now I don't have sound, mouse scroll wheel
    or usb support so I have to do it over again. Is there anything I can
    do about this?
    Max

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    18
    Well, I didn't get any replies to my question so after trying to install a precompiled kernel (kernel-image-2.6-386) which wouldn't boot I went to
    http://developer.linuxtag.net/knoppix/i386/ & downloaded the file
    kernel-image-2.4.23-xfs_10.00.Custom_i386.deb which installed & booted
    OK. So I've upgraded my kernel slightly, sound works, the mouse scroll wheel works again & my externel usb drive will mount. I guess I'll just have to wait for kernel-image-2.6.3-xfs_10.00.Custom_i386.deb to show up.
    Max

Similar Threads

  1. How do I install kernel source and config/compile kernel??
    By cfish in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2005, 07:31 AM
  2. How to compile the kernel ?
    By davidwahlstedt in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 05:42 PM
  3. Problems installing 2.6.x kernel on upgraded systems
    By Durand Hicks in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-25-2004, 10:45 PM
  4. Kernel compile problem - first Knoppix kernel compile
    By Nigel_Tufnel in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-20-2003, 01:09 PM
  5. how to compile kernel ?
    By nhoxanh in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-28-2003, 04:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer picture

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer

$2999.99



Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503 picture

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503

$109.99



1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates picture

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates

$36.00



Retro Working Macintosh SE SE30 Analog Board 820-0206-B 630-0147 w/Power Supply picture

Retro Working Macintosh SE SE30 Analog Board 820-0206-B 630-0147 w/Power Supply

$107.95



Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare picture

Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare

$179.00



Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board picture

Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board

$24.99



DOS Joystick Gameport to USB Converter - Adapter (NEW, 3-axis, 2-button) picture

DOS Joystick Gameport to USB Converter - Adapter (NEW, 3-axis, 2-button)

$49.95



Vintage Donner Scientific Analog Computer Patch Cords Banana Plugs & Resistor picture

Vintage Donner Scientific Analog Computer Patch Cords Banana Plugs & Resistor

$100.00



Rare Vintage CH Product Mach III Analog Joystick for Apple Mac picture

Rare Vintage CH Product Mach III Analog Joystick for Apple Mac

$35.00



VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A picture

VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A

$22.67