Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: CAN NOT get on the internet

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North North NORTH Arkansas
    Posts
    1

    CAN NOT get on the internet

    I just loaded Knoppix on my hard drive, and it worked absolutely BEAUTIFULLY.

    EXCEPT for the modem. (And I've seen this same problem with SuSE, by the way.) If I designate the modem as ttyS0, with hardware flow control and CR/LF (or CR or LF), and query the modem, it will say "Modem Ready" and will go through the AT's, up to AT7 and then display absolutely nothing for the AT's.

    If I attempt to log onto the Internet, it says "Modem Ready" and "Initializing Modem..." and the log window just says "Expecting OK" and nothing else.

    I've played with just about every setting I can think of, and still no joy. Any ideas?

    Edited to add: My dumb @$$ forgot to note that it's an internal US Robotics Performance Pro 56K V.92 controller controller based modem, model # USR5610. It works FINE under EVERY OTHER distribution EXCEPT SuSE and (at least for now) Knoppix.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3
    My modem does the exact same thing. It's a Broadxent V.92 I bought at Walmart.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    20

    Re: CAN NOT get on the internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Kung
    I just loaded Knoppix on my hard drive, and it worked absolutely BEAUTIFULLY.

    EXCEPT for the modem. (And I've seen this same problem with SuSE, by the way.) If I designate the modem as ttyS0, with hardware flow control and CR/LF (or CR or LF), and query the modem, it will say "Modem Ready" and will go through the AT's, up to AT7 and then display absolutely nothing for the AT's.

    If I attempt to log onto the Internet, it says "Modem Ready" and "Initializing Modem..." and the log window just says "Expecting OK" and nothing else.

    I've played with just about every setting I can think of, and still no joy. Any ideas?

    Edited to add: My dumb @$$ forgot to note that it's an internal US Robotics Performance Pro 56K V.92 controller controller based modem, model # USR5610. It works FINE under EVERY OTHER distribution EXCEPT SuSE and (at least for now) Knoppix.
    Sorry, but the correct model number for that modem would be "USR5610B"
    Just letting you know, I have the same one and the same problems too.
    On another note, do you use that modem with windows? Im having some problems with ControlCenter that is really pissing me off. Just would like to know how the install went for you.

  4. #4

    Getting the USR5610 to work

    Yeah, I don't think it was easy, either. But I did get it to work.

    Things I did:
    1) At the boot prompt, I added the following cheat code: pci=biosirq This forces Knoppix to look at the PCI IRQs and ports. It will load the modem at /dev/ttyS4. And why? Because this messugah modem is made to work on COM 5. USR is whacky.
    2) I went to Start -->KNOPPIX --> Root Shell and made a symbolic link for my modem device:
    ln -s /dev/ttyS4 /dev/modem
    3) Set up kppp to dial my ISP.
    4) And it dials in beautiful, but no Internet -- kppp couldn't open /etc/resolv.conf -- So I went to back to the Root Shell, changed to the /etc directory and chmod the resolv.conf to 777. (There's nothing in there of use, but kppp needs to see that, I guess.)

    Anyhow it works and I can type this note. Cool. Now I just need to figure out how to save all this to my config files.

    But ain't this a neat distro?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Getting the USR5610 to work

    Quote Originally Posted by ludimagister

    Anyhow it works and I can type this note. Cool. Now I just need to figure out how to save all this to my config files.

    But ain't this a neat distro?
    You should be able to use the save configuration to floppy disk in the Knoppix menu. Then when you boot it is either knoppix floppyconf or knoppix floppyconfig not sure which one at the moment.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Redmond, WA
    Posts
    6

    Re: Getting the USR5610 to work

    Quote Originally Posted by ludimagister
    4) And it dials in beautiful, but no Internet -- kppp couldn't open /etc/resolv.conf -- So I went to back to the Root Shell, changed to the /etc directory and chmod the resolv.conf to 777. (There's nothing in there of use, but kppp needs to see that, I guess.)
    ...
    But ain't this a neat distro?
    It appears kppp needs to modify /etc/resolv.conf with DNS server information in the course of its operation. When it's running you'll see information like:
    nameserver 192.168.1.1 #kppp temp entry
    in it.

    Afterwards it removes the entry(-ies) it put in there.

    Question: After you've chmod'ed resolv.conf, does the new mode "stick"? I made it writable yesterday, but today it was back to rw-r--r--.

    (And yes, this is a very neat distro! )

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Redmond, WA
    Posts
    6

    Re: Getting the USR5610 to work

    Quote Originally Posted by Eala
    Question: After you've chmod'ed resolv.conf, does the new mode "stick"? I made it writable yesterday, but today it was back to rw-r--r--.
    It does not stick. Althou7gh I have a script to set it to mode 666 (hmmm...) on system startup, it seems that when kppp removes its temporary nameserver entries, it sets the mode back to 644.

Similar Threads

  1. Can't go on internet
    By Expera in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-18-2004, 05:29 PM
  2. INTERNET HOW TO?
    By metroidprime13 in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 06:58 PM
  3. Cannot use internet
    By jonathan184th in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-06-2004, 01:19 PM
  4. internet help ????
    By oomzoo in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-24-2003, 08:01 PM
  5. Internet
    By MetalliMyers in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-28-2003, 03:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard

$90.99



ASRock B650M Pro RS WiFi AM5 AMD B650 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX Motherboard picture

ASRock B650M Pro RS WiFi AM5 AMD B650 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX Motherboard

$101.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI picture

ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI

$289.99