-
Using Knoppix with a DVD burner
My machine has Windows XP installed, with two NTFS formatted hard drives.
From what I've read, there is a bug with Knoppix that will not allow me to write to an NTFS formatted drive, at least not without the risk of corrupting data.
I'm wondering if I could boot to Knoppix, and use a DVD+RW (or even a CD-RW) disc as a small hard drive (should be sufficient for my needs)?
And if this is possible, can I save configuration settings on this disk, such that when I boot into Knoppix, my preferences apply?
Thanks.
-
Senior Member
registered user
The reason Knoppix won't allow you to write to NTFS is that M$ refuses to publish the specs for it so nobody knows for sure how to handle it.
Using optical DVD+/-RW or CD-RW would not be smart even if it was made possible, they can not take very many write/erase cycles before failing. Get yourself a USB memory dongle instead.
-
I would recommend using the persistent home directory feature and a usb thumb drive. It has worked great for me. At boot time I just pass
knoppix home=/dev/sda1
to the kernel at boot time. If you need more storage, you could always grab a usb hard drive or salvage a small IDE drive from an old system some where.
-
Problem is, no space on my IDE chains to put a new (old) HD in and no money to buy new hardware..
I take it that the DVD thing won't work at all? Damn.. guess it's SSHing for me..
-
You could also try resizing the an existing NTFS partition to make room for a linux one or a vfat one. I have used QTparted before and it seemed to work. Here is a link:
http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html
Also, I believe is possible to do what you originally suggested, but I think the random write to dvd/cd are dicey in linux. I have never tried it myself, but if you do, let me know how it works.
http://lists.debian.org/cdwrite/2003.../msg00014.html
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hi d_jedi,
Packet writting that would allow treating media
as a rw disk is not yet developed to KNOPPIX.
I do boot KNOPPIX from a floppy disk and CD drive
and use a second USB DVD RW to hold my data.
This is not a high powered solution but fills
a useful purpose for computing without a
hard drive.
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/BurnHome
Best Wishes
paradocs
Similar Threads
-
By HavocT in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-08-2005, 12:21 AM
-
By delamatrix in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-04-2005, 11:31 PM
-
By Chuckbaker in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-09-2004, 07:48 PM
-
By alfredoj69 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-11-2004, 10:58 PM
-
By ferreter in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 8
Last Post: 08-21-2003, 02:38 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)
$1599.99

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$96.60

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD
$349.99

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU
$197.76

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97

Datto S3P6000 4x 3.5" 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-1541 @2.10GHz 48GB DDR4
$154.76

SuperMicro 938-16 5039ms-h8trf 3U MicroCloud SuperServer w 8 X11SSD-F Blades 2PS
$809.10

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric
$174.99

NEW DELL TRUSTED PLATFORM MODULE TPM 2.0 POWEREDGE T430 T630 G13 SERVERS K98XH
$199.00