Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: usb problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5

    usb problem

    I have an HD install and can't seem to get a usb device recognized on the system. On boot, I see in the text that scrolls by that /dev/sda1 filesystem is not recognized. The device happens to be a ScanDisk compact flash card reader and I can see the LED on the device is off, despite booting with the it plugged in. I've tried it with other usb devices too.

    When I 'lsmod', the only references to usb are:
    usb-storage
    usbcore
    Should there be other entries here?

    When I try to mount the device, I get the error 'not a valid block device.

    I searched up and down google and can't come up with anything. Any ideas? Thanks.

    Rob

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    SanDisk are a bunch of nitwits who produce stuff which isn't fully standards compliant (although it seems to work well enough in Windows).

    I'm loosing track of the number of stories of woe I hear when people try and use their junk in Linux.

    I'd borrow something else (almost anything else!) to test your system on. If it works (and it should work pretty much out of the crate) I'd sell your SanDisk stuff to someone who'll only run Windows.

    For what it's worth, I use a Microtech Zio card reader and 3 different (non SanDisk) CF Cards with no problems (on 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 Knoppix, HD and CD) and el cheapo W:MG flash drive.

    Sorry for the bleakness of this post, but I think persevering with that kit is a waste of time.

Similar Threads

  1. Problem Unique to Knoppix Later Versions!(SIS problem!)
    By bongski55 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-15-2003, 10:19 AM
  2. Wierd Problem With USB Keyboard, Maybe Motherboard Problem
    By Triple Six in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-15-2003, 04:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



HP PROLIANT  TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM picture

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM

$195.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$299.99



Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3 picture

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3

$219.99



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$187.50