-
usb problem
I have an HD install and can't seem to get a usb device recognized on the system. On boot, I see in the text that scrolls by that /dev/sda1 filesystem is not recognized. The device happens to be a ScanDisk compact flash card reader and I can see the LED on the device is off, despite booting with the it plugged in. I've tried it with other usb devices too.
When I 'lsmod', the only references to usb are:
usb-storage
usbcore
Should there be other entries here?
When I try to mount the device, I get the error 'not a valid block device.
I searched up and down google and can't come up with anything. Any ideas? Thanks.
Rob
-
Senior Member
registered user
SanDisk are a bunch of nitwits who produce stuff which isn't fully standards compliant (although it seems to work well enough in Windows).
I'm loosing track of the number of stories of woe I hear when people try and use their junk in Linux.
I'd borrow something else (almost anything else!) to test your system on. If it works (and it should work pretty much out of the crate) I'd sell your SanDisk stuff to someone who'll only run Windows.
For what it's worth, I use a Microtech Zio card reader and 3 different (non SanDisk) CF Cards with no problems (on 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 Knoppix, HD and CD) and el cheapo W:MG flash drive.
Sorry for the bleakness of this post, but I think persevering with that kit is a waste of time.
Similar Threads
-
By bongski55 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-15-2003, 10:19 AM
-
By Triple Six in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-15-2003, 04:23 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac
$90.00

VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor
$250.00

Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read
$295.00

Vintage Mac System 7 Personal Upgrade Kit Apple Software 3.5” Floppy 1991 NEW
$142.45

Vintage Apple Mac OS 9 Retail Box 1999 Sherlock 2 Original CD Manuals
$50.00

CLARIS MacWrite Competitive Upgrade Apple Macintosh Vintage Brand New Sealed
$75.00

Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer **TURNS ON **
$99.99

2X Vintage Apple Macintosh Desktop Computers - IIcx/IIci - Parts Repair Untested
$129.00

Vintage Apple Mac OS X 10.1 Puma Upgrade CD Box M8621LL/A (2001) Factory Sealed
$22.00

Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read
$199.99