-
WoW!
About five years ago I tried Linux, several distros, and the only reason at that time that I did not stick to it was because Intuit's Quickbooks did not work with Linux, and there were no other comparable alternatives available.
With the exception of Toshiba (controlled by M$) laptops, I have never had any major problems installing and customizing Linux
I am now running all my personal PC's on knoppix, as well as all my office PC's. I do not have any non Linux apps, with the exception of Quickbooks, and for that, I give great thanks to Wine, life is great, the staff like it when the computers run 24/7, and can access their systems from home, and each other's terminals.
after mine own beard growing learning curve, I helped the staff in the transition with the exception of one, but then that educationally challenged chap needs a mouse to operate the microwave.
-
Windows XP is a nightmare
Up until about 6 months ago, I was a MS user. I knew and understood the operating system, but I got sick of all the bullshit associated with it and needed a switch. I've been through about 12 - 15 different distros, looking for the right one for me, and I haven't had ANY problems installing them. I find that if you actually ummm....READ the instructions and follow them, it is quite easy.
Even if doing a text-based install is too difficult for a XP user, who'se obviously attracted to the bright colors and flashy graphics, much as a mentally retarded person would be, I've found that the blag! distro has a very nice GTK based installer, that does everything for you, right down to creating the swap partitions. Just a few simple clicks. Come to think about it, VectorLinux does it too. Boy, I think Knoppix and OverClockix were really easy to install.
FreeBSD gave me some problems, but after a quick scan of the online install guide, I found out about the automatic partitioning of that too.
What I'm trying to say is, if you have been trying for FOUR years, four f*king years, you have some serious problems. There is a good chance that you shouldn't even own a computer right now, do to the inherant safety hazards that you pose to yourself and others with your ignorance.
-
M$ = no comments
Linux = I like it a lot
IMHO
Newbies > try live cds or pre-configured distros as ex. Xandros, Yoper, Suse ( These are user friendly )
Developers > ex. Knoppix, Debian, Slackware ( Also user friendly but is more compatible and stable for tweaking etc. )
Über > ex. compile your own kernel and maybe use ex. fluxbox if you like to have a gui ( This way you end up with a secure and super fast OS )
Ohh, I am not really an über tötung but I do have some knowledge of it, I've compiled a few kernels in the past but nowadays I mostly develop web, perl and php and I am using Feather Linux as my dist.
Similar Threads
-
By sakiZ in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-04-2005, 06:52 PM
-
By gpevc1 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-14-2005, 07:49 PM
-
By MrBug in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-28-2004, 01:13 PM
-
By protector in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-28-2004, 05:49 AM
-
By Jux in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-15-2003, 03:27 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$140.00

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric
$174.99

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

NEW Cisco UCSB-5108-AC2 Blade Server Chassis 8 Slot 6RU Chassis 4 X PSU - DW
$599.40

Supermicro 4U 32x 3.5 Bays 4-Nodes | 8x E5-2660 v3 2.6Ghz | 64gb RAM | 9207-8i
$699.99

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Server 2x Gold 6126 12C 32GB 2x 480GB SSD H330
$1759.00

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97

Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Enclosure Chassis
$274.99

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD
$349.99

ASUS Blade Server LAN Web Remote Management KVM Module Chip IPMI 2.0 ASMB9-iKVM
$49.99