Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 33 of 33

Thread: Linux is a dream that is not realy there

  1. #31
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6
    WoW!

    About five years ago I tried Linux, several distros, and the only reason at that time that I did not stick to it was because Intuit's Quickbooks did not work with Linux, and there were no other comparable alternatives available.

    With the exception of Toshiba (controlled by M$) laptops, I have never had any major problems installing and customizing Linux

    I am now running all my personal PC's on knoppix, as well as all my office PC's. I do not have any non Linux apps, with the exception of Quickbooks, and for that, I give great thanks to Wine, life is great, the staff like it when the computers run 24/7, and can access their systems from home, and each other's terminals.

    after mine own beard growing learning curve, I helped the staff in the transition with the exception of one, but then that educationally challenged chap needs a mouse to operate the microwave.

  2. #32
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2

    Windows XP is a nightmare

    Up until about 6 months ago, I was a MS user. I knew and understood the operating system, but I got sick of all the bullshit associated with it and needed a switch. I've been through about 12 - 15 different distros, looking for the right one for me, and I haven't had ANY problems installing them. I find that if you actually ummm....READ the instructions and follow them, it is quite easy.
    Even if doing a text-based install is too difficult for a XP user, who'se obviously attracted to the bright colors and flashy graphics, much as a mentally retarded person would be, I've found that the blag! distro has a very nice GTK based installer, that does everything for you, right down to creating the swap partitions. Just a few simple clicks. Come to think about it, VectorLinux does it too. Boy, I think Knoppix and OverClockix were really easy to install.
    FreeBSD gave me some problems, but after a quick scan of the online install guide, I found out about the automatic partitioning of that too.
    What I'm trying to say is, if you have been trying for FOUR years, four f*king years, you have some serious problems. There is a good chance that you shouldn't even own a computer right now, do to the inherant safety hazards that you pose to yourself and others with your ignorance.

  3. #33
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2
    M$ = no comments
    Linux = I like it a lot

    IMHO

    Newbies > try live cds or pre-configured distros as ex. Xandros, Yoper, Suse ( These are user friendly )
    Developers > ex. Knoppix, Debian, Slackware ( Also user friendly but is more compatible and stable for tweaking etc. )
    Über > ex. compile your own kernel and maybe use ex. fluxbox if you like to have a gui ( This way you end up with a secure and super fast OS )

    Ohh, I am not really an über tötung but I do have some knowledge of it, I've compiled a few kernels in the past but nowadays I mostly develop web, perl and php and I am using Feather Linux as my dist.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Similar Threads

  1. I say The Dream IS Here
    By sakiZ in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-04-2005, 06:52 PM
  2. realy big problem , i cant boot knoppix :(
    By gpevc1 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-14-2005, 07:49 PM
  3. Install knoppix on realy old laptop
    By MrBug in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-28-2004, 01:13 PM
  4. Do I realy have to remaster knoppix ... ?
    By protector in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-28-2004, 05:49 AM
  5. Newbie dream:)
    By Jux in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-15-2003, 03:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Seagate Exos 7E8 4TB 3.5

Seagate Exos 7E8 4TB 3.5" SAS ST4000NM0025

$22.00



New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD

$137.59



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$69.00



Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5

Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408

$354.99



Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$159.99



Hitachi  / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD

$29.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health

$78.00



Seagate Enterprise Capacity 2TB 2.5in SATA Internal HDD ST2000NX0403 picture

Seagate Enterprise Capacity 2TB 2.5in SATA Internal HDD ST2000NX0403

$60.00



HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar  6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860

$129.99



Sun Oracle 7357761 14TB 7.2K 3.5 12G SAS-3 HDD Hard Disc Drive w/ Coral Bracket picture

Sun Oracle 7357761 14TB 7.2K 3.5 12G SAS-3 HDD Hard Disc Drive w/ Coral Bracket

$249.99