while logged in as root, in KDE/Knoppix3's Control Center I can go in peripherials, then Display, change the video card, monitor, and resolution to what I think my Laptop uses (S3 Virge MX, TOS, 800x600 16bit is what I'm trying to get), exit out of the Ctrl Center, a dialog box comes up saying my new settings have been saved and I need to restart the desktop environment to see them in effect, I reboot the laptop, get back into KDE, then the Control Center & I see that the video card & monitor settings *are* saved, *but* the resolution keeps changing itself to 600x480 8bit!?!? I've tried this change procedure a few times and it always reverts to 640x480 8bit. BTW, when I first installed Knoppix on the hard drive and went through one of the installation screens where it asked what resolutions my laptop supports, I checked off both 800x600 and 640x480.
Does anyone know why it won't save/use the 800x600 resolution and what steps I need to do for it to start using it?? Also, here's a link to a .pdf of my laptop's specs (a Toshiba 2100CDS): http://t2100cdt.kippona.net/downloads/spec2100cdt.pdf
Thanks in advance!!!

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00
(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99
DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95
Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99
Western Digital WD Blue 1TB SATA 3.5in 7200RPM 64MB Internal HDD WD10EZEX
$14.99
HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s
$78.00
Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99
Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99
Western Digital 2TB WD20EFRX-68EUZN0 3.5" SATA Red NAS Hard Disk Drive
$69.99