Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: I'm buying an internal modem. Which one?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    6

    I'm buying an internal modem. Which one?

    I'm a Windows user who hopes to become a Linux user.

    I'm getting a new (internal) modem and would like to be able to use it with Knoppix and hopefully also Flonix.

    Can anyone suggest a good 'linmodem' that I could easily find in Australia? Must be internal, must be cheap.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    Not sure about Aussie, but on this side of the ditch ( NZ ) DSE - Dick Smith Electronics sells linux compatible modems.. check out www.dse.co.nz and search for linux, DSE are really pushing it here... also putting openoffice on all the driver CDs. What is DSE up to with linux on that side of it?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    6
    Hey thanks. DickieAU doesn't have that modem on their site. A search for 'linux modem' brings up "TEAC Interactive Set Top Box" Yeah!

    I'll go ask the humans at DSE here and see if they can help me. Maybe they'll have a vague idea what I'm talking about. If not, I'll think about ordering from NZ.

    Unless I accidently walk out with the TEAC set top box...

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    55
    I have a Modem Blaster 5601 PCI modem that works flawlessly in Linux (any flavor).

    BR

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    107
    Always a huge mistake to use an internal modem. The extra expense of an external serial type is money well spent. Watch the lights for unexpected activity, switch it off and on again when the Net causes a crash, move to any/every other machine in the house/neighbourhood, use it with any OS. I never had better advice - and they last longer!
    OG.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer
    Always a huge mistake to use an internal modem. The extra expense of an external serial type is money well spent. Watch the lights for unexpected activity, switch it off and on again when the Net causes a crash, move to any/every other machine in the house/neighbourhood, use it with any OS. I never had better advice - and they last longer!
    OG.
    You left the most important part out no surges of power from a telephone line frying your computer, an extenal modem will die first before the surge gets in the computer.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    au
    Posts
    22
    hey kerosene, go for the external modem win modems suck at best
    hows things in mexico?

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    6
    I've already got an external modem (somewhere).. which I haven't tried with Linux, but I assume it will work. I'm getting a new internal modem anyway - so I'll at least look at the DSE one.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    6
    Anyone got any other suggestions? I'm going shopping on Monday.

    I know there are linmodems out there that work.

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    denver, co
    Posts
    72
    BestData makes a hardware modem that even says it's linux compatible on the box. It would be worth looking into before you buy something you are not sure about. Don't trust salesmen in stores, it's been my experience they don't know a winmodem from a hole in the ground.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Toshiba internal modem /lucent modem
    By ottosykora in forum Laptops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-02-2005, 11:58 PM
  2. How To Install Modem Aztech Internal Modem Msp3880
    By Mic Q in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-17-2004, 02:17 PM
  3. internal modem problem
    By tsitras in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-26-2004, 04:47 AM
  4. Internal modem; anyone get one to work???
    By The Fader in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-18-2004, 09:30 PM
  5. Internal Modem not detected
    By maneeshkumar in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-09-2003, 04:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$95.20



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU picture

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU

$229.95



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)

$1599.99



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08