Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Lost power! Now users are locked out.

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20

    Lost power! Now users are locked out.

    I've installed Knoppix to the hard drive -- and I'd just gotten my wife convinced that Linux wasn't so bad. In fact, she just beat level 100 on Frozen Bubble, her "killer app". I was adjusting my Knoppix box's date/time settings, and I think I had just hit "ok" when poof! The circuit breaker tripped and I lost power.

    When I brought the box back up, fsck reported problems that couldn't be fixed automatically. I'm a newbie, so I did what it said -- ran fsck without any options and answered "y" to all the errors it reported. I had to do this twice before Linux would stop complaining.

    Now, root works fine, but all other logins appear to be out of commission.

    I'm running KDE, and when I log in as anything but root, the system grinds around for a while and then goes right back to the login selection dialog. I even created a new user... same result.

    Any suggestions for getting back the lost users? I'd rather the rest of the family not log in as root to play Frozen Bubble...

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Can you login using those accounts from a console session (say Ctl-Alt-F4) ? If yes, then the accounts/passwords should be OK. It might just be KDE's setttings that were corrupted. I'd then suggest renaming the .kde and .kde2 directories to something else, and on the next graphical login, a default KDE profile should be created for said user. Good luck.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Lost power! Now users are locked out.

    --Why in the world did you pick a non-journalled filesystem? Find the frozen-bubble high score file, back it up, then:

    o Reinstall the system afresh, to an ext3 or reiserfs filesystem

    o Restore the frozen-bubble highscore file so your wife doesn't KILL you

    o Once you have the system back up and working right, BACK IT UP.

    o Optional, but highly recommended: Buy a UPS.

    o Sorry, I looked around my system a bit but I don't know what the FB highscore filename is.

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertB
    I've installed Knoppix to the hard drive -- and I'd just gotten my wife convinced that Linux wasn't so bad. In fact, she just beat level 100 on Frozen Bubble, her "killer app". I was adjusting my Knoppix box's date/time settings, and I think I had just hit "ok" when poof! The circuit breaker tripped and I lost power.

    When I brought the box back up, fsck reported problems that couldn't be fixed automatically. I'm a newbie, so I did what it said -- ran fsck without any options and answered "y" to all the errors it reported. I had to do this twice before Linux would stop complaining.

    Now, root works fine, but all other logins appear to be out of commission.

    I'm running KDE, and when I log in as anything but root, the system grinds around for a while and then goes right back to the login selection dialog. I even created a new user... same result.

    Any suggestions for getting back the lost users? I'd rather the rest of the family not log in as root to play Frozen Bubble...

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Found the Frozen Bubble High Scores:

    Inside the /home folder for the user, locate the file: .fbhighscores

    thats [dot]FBHighScores - but in lower case.

    Each user account that has played Frozen Bubble will have this file to retain the "user" accounts high scores. You want to look in your wife's /home directory for this file, and copy it off, unless you want to have it evaporate, if you decide to go with the ext3 file system.

    I agree with Dave on using the ext3 file system, it is set up to keep track of file information, in the case of failure, it has a better chance of avoiding the corruption. I use the ext3 format, and have not had any problems, but then again, I used to live in Tucson, AZ - and lightning hits were common, so I have a UPS on any computer system that I run - its cheap security. IMHO

    Cuddles

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    If nothing vital was lost, you don't have to reinstall but you can convert your ext2 filesystem(s) to ext3 with "tunefs -j". Certainly something to consider.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --True, but after a bad fsck like that you never quite know what problems might come up from it. Safer to reinstall, IMHO.

    Quote Originally Posted by baldyeti
    If nothing vital was lost, you don't have to reinstall but you can convert your ext2 filesystem(s) to ext3 with "tunefs -j". Certainly something to consider.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20
    Thanks for the great info!

    Last night, I was able to log in, with KDE, just fine... then things started locking up. After confirming that I could log in to each user without the graphical shell, I rebooted to try again... and finally got to the bottom of the problem.

    I made my partitions too small! /home is out of space. When I installed Knoppix to the HD, I didn't realize that I'd have to do some extra work to use different partitions for different parts of Linux. Remember, I'm a total newbie... I didn't even know what /home was until I tried it out (and I'm still figuring it out).

    I haven't stored any valuable data (except for the Frozen Bubble high scores -- thanks for the info, I'll save that!), so I'll re-install Knoppix with a more sensible partitioning scheme as described in the "hints and tips" forum.

    Thanks a ton! Your assistance made a great birthday present for me.

Similar Threads

  1. Locked Out By Gnome Screensaver After 20 Minutes
    By cookingout in forum Knoppix DVD
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-08-2005, 02:00 PM
  2. locked files/ unable get permissions
    By finder in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-13-2005, 03:40 PM
  3. Locked /usr/local/bin directory
    By yadwin in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-20-2004, 04:57 PM
  4. locked up program
    By TheTempest in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-26-2004, 05:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly picture

Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly

$18.95



Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U picture

Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U

$159.99



Atari 850 Interface Module For ATARI 400/800 Computer Vintage Tested picture

Atari 850 Interface Module For ATARI 400/800 Computer Vintage Tested

$50.00



Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on picture

Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on

$255.00



Atari 800 130XE 65XE Color S-Video, Composite Video & Audio Cable Tested picture

Atari 800 130XE 65XE Color S-Video, Composite Video & Audio Cable Tested

$29.78



Vintage Atari 1050 Disk Drive w/ SIO Cable & 32 Games/Programs - UNTESTED  picture

Vintage Atari 1050 Disk Drive w/ SIO Cable & 32 Games/Programs - UNTESTED

$67.76



Atari 800XL Home Computer 64K RAM in Original Box 1984 Olympic Edition Untested picture

Atari 800XL Home Computer 64K RAM in Original Box 1984 Olympic Edition Untested

$149.99



GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats picture

GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats

$35.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29