Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Knoppix-installer w/no bootloader???

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Knoxville TN USA
    Posts
    18

    Knoppix-installer w/no bootloader???

    Having successfully installed Knoppix using kpx-install, I decided to try an install with knoppix-installer.

    Well, everything went well until I came to the bootloader screen. No matter what I tried, i couldn't get to allow me to simply install none and make a bootdisk.

    Where am I going wrong? Last time I tried Linux, I had a lot of trouble wiht Wxx after using LILO (GRUB worked better). This time, I want *nothing* done to my Wxx drive; Linux is on a completely different HDD and I want to keep it that way until I can get rid of Redmond for good (my wife is terrified of change

    Any suggestions?

    TIA/Fader

  2. #2
    Do you have an expendable install on a secondary PC? There's a couple of scary things I learned by trying them slowly and carefully on actively used machines that I could have learned much faster on a test computer. Other than the usual scarecrow(d) called partitioning, also backing up and restoring the Master Boot Record is a very useful trick to learn. NOT INDISPENSIBLE, but it gives you peace of mind.

    Basically,

    - the info that tells the OS where and what type the partitions are and what is the "partition table", which is in bytes 447-512 of the 1st sector of a HD

    - the executable code called bootloader (or boot manager, or boot selector, if designed to boot MORE THAN ONE operating system), is in the first 446 bytes of the same sector

    - however, if an OS can boot from other that the 1st partition of the HD, the bootloader can be injected in the 1st sector of the partition it's intended to boot.

    Debian uses lilo by default, and (normally) gives you the option to install it in the MBR or in the boot sector of the Debian partition. You say you can't do that, and also that you don't want to mess the MBR as it is now.

    With Windows 9x, messing with the MBR is not usually a problem, as you can restore the original MBR by booting with a floppy, go to C:\, and issue the command

    fdisk /mbr

    or something similar

    The alternative trick, easily done in Knoppix, is to back up the MBR.

    You need to mount a floppy or your Windows partition (man mount) and use dd (man dd) and copy the MBR onto a file there. You do NOT need to mount the 1st partition to copy / restore the MBR of that HD - you only need to have the device mounted read-write IF YOU WANT TO READ THE BACKUP FILE FROM / WRITE THE BACKUP FILE ON IT.

    I assume your floppy is /dev/fd0 (mounted on /mnt/floppy) and your HD is /dev/hda.
    MBR-backup is the filename of the backup.

    The dd commands I use are these:

    to back up:
    dd if=/dev/hda of=/mnt/floppy/MBR-backup bs=512 count=1

    to restore:
    dd if=/mnt/floppy/MBR-backup of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1

    If I want to leave the partition table alone, I use bs=446 instead, as the partiton table is in the last 66 bytes of the MBR.

    I think something similar can be done with a bootloader that is in the boot sector of a single partition (/dev/hda3 for example) but I'm not so sure.

    Backing up the MBR is the first thing I do BEFORE and AFTER an install. I give the various backups descriptive names, of course!

    One word of caution re. Knoppix:
    If you boot the live CD, you have read/write access only to a temporary file system in RAM. If you are not careful in REALLY mounting the device you want to write to in read/write mode, you risk making a nice backup into ****RAM****, and you know what will happen to it once you shutdown!

    For example, if you create the directory /mnt/bogus, and you THINK you have mounted say /dev/hda1 (Windows partition) on /mnt/bogus but you have not, if you do
    dd if=/dev/hda of=/mnt/bogus/MBR-backup bs=512 count=1
    the data will end up in RAM, not in C:\MBR-backup. Endless fun! :-)

    Once you do the dd it's a good idea to unmount /dev/hda1, check that the file has disappeared from /mnt/bogus, then (if u're anal retentive) remount and see if it has reappeared.

    That's why I advocate getting a cheap PC for trying out weird stuff. Just bef. Xmas I got my self a nice 130-Euro Piii-500MHz-128MB-8GB, which is now my official guinea pig, and will become my home server one day.

Similar Threads

  1. Install Knoppix to HD without installing a bootloader
    By idris1388 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-12-2005, 11:39 AM
  2. Install Knoppix with Bios Bootloader
    By Capiora in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-21-2004, 02:34 PM
  3. no BootLoader with knoppix 3.4
    By mschievano in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 06:34 PM
  4. Bootloader Fun & Games (GRUB, Knoppix, Win2k)
    By displaced in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-24-2003, 05:26 PM
  5. bootloader question for win98, Mandrake and Knoppix
    By NewbieEd in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-20-2003, 02:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$369.59



Sandisk 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB Cruzer Blade Flash Drive Memory Stick USB Lot Pack picture

Sandisk 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB Cruzer Blade Flash Drive Memory Stick USB Lot Pack

$88.90



Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1 picture

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1

$399.00



Memory Card Reader Mini 26-IN-1 USB 2.0 High Speed For CF xD SD MS SDHC picture

Memory Card Reader Mini 26-IN-1 USB 2.0 High Speed For CF xD SD MS SDHC

$4.95