View Poll Results: Which of those d'you prefer?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gnome

    3 8.57%
  • KDE

    22 62.86%
  • Both are good

    8 22.86%
  • Both are worthless

    1 2.86%
  • ...whatever.

    1 2.86%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Gnome or KDE?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10

    Gnome or KDE?

    I am quite curious. What do you think is better out of those 2 major WM's?
    I am voting Both are equally good.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    35
    KDE seems more refined and more complete. I load both on all my PC's - even if just for the libs for each others apps.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    22
    I like both, more often than not I'm in Gnome.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    203

    KDE

    Perhaps its just familiarity but I prefer KDE...
    Theirs nothing wrong with gnome .... I just got used to KDE.

    For heavy use its more efficient although that seems to be a matter of great debate.
    Basically KDE takes forever to startup....
    but then its starting a lot of background stuff.
    However this background stuff is reusable, mostly libraries and the DCOP server, Qt etc.
    When you open a pure KDE app it only needs a slight incremental increase over whats already running.
    For truly minimalist you can't beat flux or waimia or about 10 other choices but if you use a KDE app it still loads up loads crap anyhow.

    Gnome (without evolution) is lighter but less reusable in terms of resources. However starting a single Gnome app in KDE is not like starting a KDE app in Gnome.
    Gmome reuses the gtk libs but not much else. Therefore if you use mainly KDE apps your better with a full KDE. If you occaisionally use a single KDE app then use Gnome.

    Both are great but with different philosophies.

    I like KDE becuase its more integrated in terms of the control panel and functionality in a single set of libraries.
    Konqueror is pretty great, its a pretty good browser, especially the new one and a pretty good file manager/network browser/smb browser/cups etc.
    Its certainly not the best of breed in any of these but overall i think it does the combination best.
    Just my 2c really

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    I have never tried GNome, had stuck with KDE from the start...

    From the first time I ran the Knoppix Live CD, to the point of having two HD Installed systems, with at least 10 user accounts on these systems, KDE is what I have used.

    I got used to using KDE from the start, and figure, it works for me, even though I have no clue about GNome, I guess, not knowing what you are missing, is okey, I guess.

    Now, as a defense for GNome, if Knoppix had GNome as its default GUI, I guess I would have swayed to GNome, instead of KDE. But, it didn't go that way. This could also be a good reason why a lot of people have issues with Knoppix/Linux - they learned on a M$ Win system, and since it does what they want, why change, kinda thing. (just a guess)

    I for one, can't imagine going back to any flavor of M$ Windoze, not after firing up Knoppix, and begining to get used to it now.

    Thats just my 2 cents worth, though,
    Cuddles

  6. #6
    KDE
    But only because I despise nautilus in gnome with a passion. I much prefer GTK apps over QT apps, and I really like XFce4.

    That said, because KDE is (ironically) faster than GNOME because konq is faster and more fully featured than nautilus, KDE wins the DE war for me.

    At work, Knoppix with good ol' KDE. At home, Gentoo with XFce4

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    KDE rocks, especially things like ftp:// and fish:// urls in file open/save dialogs are afaik unparalleled.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    16
    KDE has many more configuration options than GNOME. That is good because you can use the GUI to change the configurations with KDE, while in GNOME you could have to edit more files and restart/reboot more.

    For example, with KDE I was able to set my locale easily (region + keyboard). With GNOME I don't think I could have done that that easily.

    But sometimes when I copy/paste among programs it seems to work best with the GTK+ ones.

    For example, I copied something on Wine to the clipboard and I was able to paste it on GEdit.

    Both are good. KDE has more configurations and GNOME looks better (look and feel, less clutter).

    I am using KDE for the first time and I like it.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by probono
    KDE rocks, especially things like ftp:// and fish:// urls in file open/save dialogs are afaik unparalleled.
    Yes and KDE 3.2 continues to capitalize on things like this. If you have 3.2 try typing "fonts:/" or "system:/" in Konq. Very cool. There are of course tons of other great features found in 3.2. Probably we should put together a nice summary whenever it makes it into knoppix. Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to see what's in Gnome 2.6.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Yup, a nice summary or HOWTO would be good as I find some new feature, strictly by accident, every day it seems....

    Regards,
    AJG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Gnome?
    By CyberShadow in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-06-2004, 06:29 AM
  2. Not Gnome, But Gnome Ready?
    By beforewisdom in forum Ideas
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-23-2003, 02:10 PM
  3. Gnome or KDE ????
    By Adeel in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-23-2003, 09:31 PM
  4. GNOME in (with KDE), others out
    By knoppix37672 in forum Ideas
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-01-2003, 05:14 AM
  5. GNOME
    By papasi in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-30-2003, 09:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



SK Hynix 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200MHz ECC UDIMM RAM PC4-3200AA KIT picture

SK Hynix 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200MHz ECC UDIMM RAM PC4-3200AA KIT

$140.00



Micron 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2666V MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1QG ECC REG Server Memory RAM picture

Micron 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2666V MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1QG ECC REG Server Memory RAM

$240.00



SK HYNIX HMAA8GL7MMR4N-UH 64GB PC4-2400T RDIMM Server RAM picture

SK HYNIX HMAA8GL7MMR4N-UH 64GB PC4-2400T RDIMM Server RAM

$289.95



Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM picture

Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM

$10.99



HP 726719-B21 752369-081 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P Server Memory. LOT 5 Dimms picture

HP 726719-B21 752369-081 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P Server Memory. LOT 5 Dimms

$275.00



SK Hynix 64B PC4-2933Y Server Memory DDR4 RAM HMAA8GR7MJR4N-WM picture

SK Hynix 64B PC4-2933Y Server Memory DDR4 RAM HMAA8GR7MJR4N-WM

$499.99



Samsung 32GB (2 x 16GB) PC4-2666V DDR4 ECC Server Memory M393A2K43BB1-CTD7Q picture

Samsung 32GB (2 x 16GB) PC4-2666V DDR4 ECC Server Memory M393A2K43BB1-CTD7Q

$169.95



2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder picture

2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder

$3.99



Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) RAM DDR4 4000MHz picture

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) RAM DDR4 4000MHz

$170.00