i just tried what both of you tried. neither worked..
![]()
I have knoppix running on my Dell Inspiron 8500 I had the same problem initially but if you type the cheatcode:
knoppix fb1600x1200 screen=1600x1200
at the boot prompt it will fix it. Just replace the 1600x1200 part with what ever your laptops native resolution is. Works for me. Hope that helps.
i just tried what both of you tried. neither worked..
![]()
same here. Nothing works.
I've had the stupid 2inch black border around my knoppix for ages. <grumble> I've searched sooo many forums, discussions and faqs but still havn't found a solution yet. <sigh>
i've got an 3800, can't remember if i got this black border with knoppix, but i did get it with windows. i had to hit the function key then F7(or it might be F8, says font in purple letters on it) and that fixed it, worth a try!
I had the same black border problem with Knoppix before too and I was also going to suggest the Fn+F7 (or F8 - I don't remember right now) key combination. You may need to repeat that combination 2 or 3 times before it works though, but I never figured out why.
Originally Posted by CatamountJack
what is the "FN" key?
FN (function key) at the bottom left hand side of the keyboard
yeah the Fn+F8 activates the CRT/LCD function. But it didn't work on my Dell Inspiron 1100. Just stuffed up my screen even more coz my menu bar at the bottom disappeared and a fuzzy inaccessable bar appeared up the top. but the black border's still there. I tried pressing Fn+F8 for like 5 times but still the same result.
thx for trying anewayz.
i also have the same problem with a 1100 someone has to have an idea that shoudl work lol
The solution must be the screen cheat code, as mentioned before. If I use anything but 'knoppix screen=1600x1200' when booting i get the black bars around the edge of the screen. 1600x1200 is my native screen resolution. Figure out your screens native resolution and try again. Remember to type "knoppix" before the cheat code.

IBM Power S822 POWER8 1x CPU 32GB DDR4 RAM 2U Rack Server No HDD.
$629.99
Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852
$559.00
IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$200.00
IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$149.99
IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS
$80.00
IBM Power S922 9009-22A Power9 DDR4 10GbE 6X SFF Barebone Server
$999.95
IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$108.92
IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99
2x IBM POWER6 43E7455 44M1236 IBM9316 Ceramic Server CPU Gold Contacts
$59.99
Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$281.25