-
Junior Member
registered user
No card index in xf86config
knoppix 3.3 hard drive install
tryed to run xf86config, all goes well throughout except when I try to display card types (so I can choose one)...wont let me look at card list, says something to the effect that listing cant be found. everthing else sets up ok.
using a TNT2 card and would like to get my video set properly and get away from frame buffer.
would apt-get solve problem?
Thanks,TheBman
-
Senior Member
registered user
quick fix
Dont know why thats happening but this should will fix it.
Presumoing you have installed it on the HDD
Boot to RL2 (knoppix 2)
then XFREE86 -configure
(might be --configure)
this will generate a file in the directory where you are, presumably root and you follow the instructions. If this works then go back to the CLI and copy this file to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: quick fix

Originally Posted by
gowator
Dont know why thats happening but this should will fix it.
Presumoing you have installed it on the HDD
Boot to RL2 (knoppix 2)
then XFREE86 -configure
(might be --configure)
this will generate a file in the directory where you are, presumably root and you follow the instructions. If this works then go back to the CLI and copy this file to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
X --configure. To the OP that card should work with the "nv" driver try dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Thanks for the good info, I used Stephen's advice and used dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 and the video is better on the nv driver.
Can I use the Nvidia self installing shell script for the nvidia drivers and re-edit the xf86config-4 file and get my acceleration?
I have always used Slackware and I used to do the following to set up the accelaration:
-- edit inittab for no x
-- install nvidia drivers from cd
-- edit xf86config to load GLX and dri, and changed driver
from "nv" to "nvidia"
-- edit inittab for x
-- reboot
I really like the ease of configuration of this distro, a little confused as to the "particulars" as they are all different in ways.
Thanks again
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
TheBman
Thanks for the good info, I used Stephen's advice and used dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 and the video is better on the nv driver.
Can I use the Nvidia self installing shell script for the nvidia drivers and re-edit the xf86config-4 file and get my acceleration?
I have always used Slackware and I used to do the following to set up the accelaration:
-- edit inittab for no x
-- install nvidia drivers from cd
-- edit xf86config to load GLX and dri, and changed driver
from "nv" to "nvidia"
-- edit inittab for x
-- reboot
I really like the ease of configuration of this distro, a little confused as to the "particulars" as they are all different in ways.
Thanks again
You can do it two ways the easy one with Kano's script I would recommend the 4496 one or following your example:
Code:
login to the console from kde greeter screen
su to root
/etc/init.d/kdm stop
change to directory with nvidia installer
export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-2.95 or export IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1
ll /usr/src/linux and make sure it points to /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.22-xfs
./nvidia_installer and choose compile custom module
make the required changes in the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
/etc/init.d/kdm restart to get the greeter screen for a new login.
-
Junior Member
registered user
ok, probably my error, but this is what I tried:
login to console per your directions as root
execute /etc/init.d/kdm stop (that halted X)
inserted cdrom, mount /cdrom cd /cdrom/drivers (this is where shell script resides) also tried copying to /usr/src/linux (same return after switching directories
export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-2.95
ll /usr/src/linux returns lrwxrwxrwx 1 knoppix knoppix 12 Jan 22 19:27 /usr/src/linux -> linux-2.4.22
same return for export IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1
tried running sh install script
not getting /usr/src/linux pointing to /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.22-xfs./nvidia_installer in order to choose compile custom module
sh script fails
TheBman
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
TheBman
ok, probably my error, but this is what I tried:
login to console per your directions as root
execute /etc/init.d/kdm stop (that halted X)
inserted cdrom, mount /cdrom cd /cdrom/drivers (this is where shell script resides) also tried copying to /usr/src/linux (same return after switching directories
export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-2.95
ll /usr/src/linux returns lrwxrwxrwx 1 knoppix knoppix 12 Jan 22 19:27 /usr/src/linux -> linux-2.4.22
same return for export IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1
tried running sh install script
not getting /usr/src/linux pointing to /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.22-xfs./nvidia_installer in order to choose compile custom module
sh script fails
TheBman
I made a typo in the post it looks like Klaus has the headers named /usr/src/linux-2.4.22 that should make no difference though it is still pointed to the correct directory. What error did it give you when it failed? And checking over my post I see I left out edit the /etc/modutils/aliases file and adding the line alias char-major-195 nvidia and then running update-modules as root and reboot, I was thinking about my install I've already got the line so that step is not necessary for me.
-
Junior Member
registered user
ok, installer worked that time after editing the files you recommended, I know i forgot to remove a line or comment something in the XF86Config-4 file as X is now broken. I did change the driver to nvidia from nv, will have to go back through my notes and review. Will post this afternoon after class.
-
Junior Member
registered user
ok, i have tried my way...failed miserably! Tried the easyone (Kano's script) and it installed ok, but, as soon as it was completed the screen went blank (black) no clicking, no lines ...nothing. rebooted and ran dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86. I did this about 15 different times ensuring that I had the nvidia driver, and tried taking out the modules 1 by 1 ( dri etc etc ) went through the entire list substituting different ones and combinations. Every time I would try to invoke kdm and the screen would go black and that was it, couldn't even get to a console. Had to reboot to get to console. Cant find the right combo i guess. what else might I try?
thank you for all your help
-
Senior Member
registered user
Ok so the driver built and installed correctly right? If so then is is something simple wrong in the config file can you post the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file so we can see it and any lines in the /var/log/XFree86.0.log that have (WW) or (EE) in front of them and the last 15 or 20 lines of this file where it is failing to start.
Similar Threads
-
By mark.johnson in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 04-19-2005, 05:12 PM
-
By KnoppiXRuleZ in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-14-2004, 11:07 PM
-
By KnoppiXRuleZ in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-14-2004, 11:06 PM
-
By evilmrhenry in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-07-2003, 05:51 PM
-
By Omak in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-15-2003, 08:50 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$49.99

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare
$1800.00

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE
$6299.00

Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k
$300.00

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond
$140.00

Apple Keyboard and Cable for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110
$129.99

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$59.99

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+
$209.99

Apple Keyboard for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110 (010)
$149.00

Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs
$14.99