Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Installing and booting from an aacraid root drive

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3

    Installing and booting from an aacraid root drive

    I want to install Knoppix to a Dell machine with an aacraid RAID 5 disk array (and no other hard drive). Knoppix works fine from the CD, so it has the proper driver. But when I do a hard drive install using knx-hdinstall, the drive is not being recognized on reboot. I'm guessing that is because the driver is a loadable module and needs to be put into the initrd image.

    My question is, how do I go about doing this? Has someone hacked knx-hdinstall so that it can load arbitrary modules into initrd? Do I need to do it myself, manually? If so, what else do I need to do to get a working system?

    Enquiring minds would be grateful to know. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3

    Now booting off a RAID drive

    I got this working, so I thought I would post an FYI for anyone else who might want SCSI drivers other than the ones the script installs by default.

    The knx-hdinstall script is smart about only loading those SCSI drivers that are necessary for your particular machine into the initrd file. The trouble is that the SCSI devices it works with are not the full range that Knoppix supports, but just those that are included in the miniroot. So my solution was to create my own modified miniroot with the device driver I needed, and change the knx-hdinstall script to use my miniroot. There may be easier fixes, but this worked for me.

    Here is what I did from a root prompt:

    1) cp /usr/local/bin/knx-hdinstall /tmp
    2) mkdir /mnt/work
    3) mount -t vfat -o loop,ro /cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img /mnt/work
    4) gzip -cd /mnt/work/miniroot.gz > /tmp/miniroot
    5) umount /mnt/work
    6) mount -t ext2 -o loop /tmp/miniroot /mnt/work
    7) cp /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/kernel/drivers/scsi/aacraid/aacraid.o /mnt/work/modules/scsi
    (you'll want to substitute your own device driver here)
    8) umount /mnt/work
    9) Edit knx-hdinstall and change:
    Code:
          mount -t vfat -o loop,ro /cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img $TL1
          gzip -cd $TL1/miniroot.gz > $TR/miniroot
          umount $TL1
    to:
    Code:
          cp /tmp/miniroot $TR
    10) rmdir /mnt/work
    11) /tmp/knx-hdinstall

    That should do it. When working with your own driver, make sure you get any dependencies it may have. I'm no module guru but I think the simplest way is using lsmod. If you don't want to trust that you can use depmod -n > /tmp/modlist.txt and check over the file for your driver.

    Hope that helps anyone in a similar situation.

Similar Threads

  1. Booting from a usb 2.0 cd-rw drive?
    By Islington in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-10-2005, 08:36 PM
  2. Installing on a second HDD drive
    By Khufu in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-19-2005, 05:37 PM
  3. 2 questions, pen drive and root pass(yes i looked first)
    By Whiskers in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-29-2003, 09:50 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-26-2003, 09:02 AM
  5. Booting from the CD-ROM drive
    By apu222 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-27-2002, 05:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.72