Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: onboard via sound and sb live

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3

    onboard via sound and sb live

    When Knoppix boots, it finds the onboard VIA sound device. Sound quality with it is kind of bad using XMMS.
    Can I make Knoppix use the SBLive card instead? How?
    I'm booting it from CD.

    TIA

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Iowa U.S.A.
    Posts
    226
    Welcome luwe,

    Onboard via sound will work will with the proper setting.

    I use a via mini itx with a 1000 mh C3 processor.
    There is a buzzing sound until you set a sampling rate
    to 48000.

    At first the sound did not work at all but now
    alsa is automatic.

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2831#15723

    Best Wishes
    paradocs

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: onboard via sound and sb live

    Quote Originally Posted by luwe
    When Knoppix boots, it finds the onboard VIA sound device. Sound quality with it is kind of bad using XMMS.
    Can I make Knoppix use the SBLive card instead? How?
    I'm booting it from CD.

    TIA
    Also if you just want to use the SBLive card, then go into your bios and turn off on board sound. Then try your using your SBLive card.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3

    thanks

    I can't believe I didn't think about turning it off in BIOS.
    At boot it finds the SBLive card.

    Thanks "aay".

    I can't configure the sound card. I boot from cd so I'm guessing that's the reason.

    I get:
    " The module used for your card, emu10k1.o, is not currently in your module search path. Please verify that your kernel modules are correctly installed."

    I don't really know what it means.
    If anyone knows a quick solution, please share.
    If it's just cause I'm booting from CD then it's ok,
    putting together a new PC just for Linux as we speak.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by luwe
    I can't believe I didn't think about turning it off in BIOS.
    At boot it finds the SBLive card.

    Thanks "aay".

    I can't configure the sound card. I boot from cd so I'm guessing that's the reason.

    I get:
    " The module used for your card, emu10k1.o, is not currently in your module search path. Please verify that your kernel modules are correctly installed."

    I don't really know what it means.
    If anyone knows a quick solution, please share.
    If it's just cause I'm booting from CD then it's ok,
    putting together a new PC just for Linux as we speak.
    You may have a bad CD try knoppix testcd if that says it is ok then use knoppix alsa at the boot: prompt.

Similar Threads

  1. No sound w/ Live CD - onboard sound card, Asus/Via
    By AngelFch in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 07:53 PM
  2. AC 97 onboard sound w/ Knoppix 3.7 (help plz)
    By jtvision in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-27-2005, 01:54 PM
  3. sound issues with onboard sound chip
    By frank34 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 02:49 PM
  4. onboard sound not detected
    By pwchicken in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-28-2003, 11:41 PM
  5. onboard sound issue
    By wikked in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-27-2003, 02:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX picture

For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX

$149.99



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Intel Xeon W-3245 16-Core 3.2GHz (SRFFD) Apple MAC PRO A1991 CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon W-3245 16-Core 3.2GHz (SRFFD) Apple MAC PRO A1991 CPU Processor

$199.99



HP ZBook Fury G8 15.6'' Intel Xeon W-11955M 2.6GHz 64GB RAM 1TB SSD RTX A2000 picture

HP ZBook Fury G8 15.6'' Intel Xeon W-11955M 2.6GHz 64GB RAM 1TB SSD RTX A2000

$599.99



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600  Win 10 picture

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10

$109.99