-
Ctrl-Alt-F1 causes screen to go blank
I have a new Compaq Evo D510U desktop computer.
Knoppix single boot CD works great with video and
network, etc. However, when I try to switch to
another root console with Ctl-Alt-F1 The screen
goes black. Therefore I cannot run hdinstall.
Does anyone know how to solve this? Has anyone
installed Debian on this machine at all?
Thank you,
Marc
-
Hdd Install, Ctrl-Alt-F1 blank screen
I don't know why this is never mentioned earlier but I had this problem a few months ago.
Press Ctrl-Alt-F2 and *not* Ctrl-Alt-F1 and everything goes fine
-
Hdd Install, Ctrl-Alt-F1 blank screen
Thank you for the reply. Ctl-Alt-F2 did not work either. I did a clean boot with the knoppix cd. Then once KDE was finished starting I hit C-A-F2 w/o first hitting C-A-F1. It still didn't work.
Please advise again. If you can send copy of your response to me at [email protected] it would be appriciated.
Thank you,
Marc
-
another option is to boot in text mode (I don't know the boot cheat code now) and start knx-hdinstall.
-
if you do sudo /usr/local/bin/knx-hd install it will work from GUI. I did it from gui. Pretty sweet
-
Senior Member
registered user
On your Compaq are you seeing the boot startup, the "tux" in the upper left and the hardware detection, etc?
If you are not seeing that your video card won't support the vga mode used by default in the knoppix lilo boot process, so try starting with:
knoppix vga=normal (plus any other boot-option codes you need)
and see if that works. I've had to do that on about 50% of the computers I've tried knoppix on to have a usable console.
HTH
rock
-
can you post exact modification that you did to lilo.conf ?
-
ok doing vga=normal fixed the problem only partially. I can get a console but it still takes a crap while trying to come back to the original console and upon logout it doesn't come back to a graphical login just black screen
Similar Threads
-
By JoeNEEDSHELP in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-19-2004, 03:42 AM
-
By Fish in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-18-2004, 10:37 PM
-
By slime101 in forum Laptops
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-26-2003, 01:33 AM
-
By gavin in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-08-2003, 02:06 PM
-
By delautier in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-01-2003, 12:14 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER
$94.94

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Intel Xeon W-2255 SRGV8 3.7GHz 10-Core LGA2066 Server CPU Processor
$249.99

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10
$109.99