Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Ctrl-Alt-F1 causes screen to go blank

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    2

    Ctrl-Alt-F1 causes screen to go blank

    I have a new Compaq Evo D510U desktop computer.
    Knoppix single boot CD works great with video and
    network, etc. However, when I try to switch to
    another root console with Ctl-Alt-F1 The screen
    goes black. Therefore I cannot run hdinstall.

    Does anyone know how to solve this? Has anyone
    installed Debian on this machine at all?

    Thank you,
    Marc

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    6

    Hdd Install, Ctrl-Alt-F1 blank screen

    I don't know why this is never mentioned earlier but I had this problem a few months ago.

    Press Ctrl-Alt-F2 and *not* Ctrl-Alt-F1 and everything goes fine

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    2

    Hdd Install, Ctrl-Alt-F1 blank screen

    Thank you for the reply. Ctl-Alt-F2 did not work either. I did a clean boot with the knoppix cd. Then once KDE was finished starting I hit C-A-F2 w/o first hitting C-A-F1. It still didn't work.

    Please advise again. If you can send copy of your response to me at [email protected] it would be appriciated.

    Thank you,
    Marc

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    6
    another option is to boot in text mode (I don't know the boot cheat code now) and start knx-hdinstall.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    8
    if you do sudo /usr/local/bin/knx-hd install it will work from GUI. I did it from gui. Pretty sweet

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    On your Compaq are you seeing the boot startup, the "tux" in the upper left and the hardware detection, etc?

    If you are not seeing that your video card won't support the vga mode used by default in the knoppix lilo boot process, so try starting with:

    knoppix vga=normal (plus any other boot-option codes you need)

    and see if that works. I've had to do that on about 50% of the computers I've tried knoppix on to have a usable console.

    HTH

    rock

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    8
    can you post exact modification that you did to lilo.conf ?

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    8
    ok doing vga=normal fixed the problem only partially. I can get a console but it still takes a crap while trying to come back to the original console and upon logout it doesn't come back to a graphical login just black screen

Similar Threads

  1. When booting blank screen
    By JoeNEEDSHELP in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-19-2004, 03:42 AM
  2. Blank Screen
    By Fish in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-18-2004, 10:37 PM
  3. all i get is a blank screen??
    By slime101 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-26-2003, 01:33 AM
  4. Help! blank screen on install v3.3
    By gavin in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-08-2003, 02:06 PM
  5. Mid-install blank screen
    By delautier in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-01-2003, 12:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations  Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981 picture

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981

$295.00



Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9

Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand

$275.00



Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed picture

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed

$69.95



LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED picture

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED

$80.00



Retro Vintage Apple M0110A Compact Wired Mechanical keyboard for Macintosh Plus picture

Retro Vintage Apple M0110A Compact Wired Mechanical keyboard for Macintosh Plus

$64.95



Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond

$140.00



Apple PowerBook 3400c TFT LCD RARE Vintage Laptop untested picture

Apple PowerBook 3400c TFT LCD RARE Vintage Laptop untested

$139.99



Vintage Apple Power Mac G4 Cube Poster (2000) 36 x 24 - Think Different picture

Vintage Apple Power Mac G4 Cube Poster (2000) 36 x 24 - Think Different

$29.99



Vintage Apple Assembly Line Newsletter Vol: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 From 1984 picture

Vintage Apple Assembly Line Newsletter Vol: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 From 1984

$179.99



Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681 picture

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681

$299.99