I don't know why this is never mentioned earlier but I had this problem a few months ago.
Press Ctrl-Alt-F2 and *not* Ctrl-Alt-F1 and everything goes fine![]()
I have a new Compaq Evo D510U desktop computer.
Knoppix single boot CD works great with video and
network, etc. However, when I try to switch to
another root console with Ctl-Alt-F1 The screen
goes black. Therefore I cannot run hdinstall.
Does anyone know how to solve this? Has anyone
installed Debian on this machine at all?
Thank you,
Marc
I don't know why this is never mentioned earlier but I had this problem a few months ago.
Press Ctrl-Alt-F2 and *not* Ctrl-Alt-F1 and everything goes fine![]()
Thank you for the reply. Ctl-Alt-F2 did not work either. I did a clean boot with the knoppix cd. Then once KDE was finished starting I hit C-A-F2 w/o first hitting C-A-F1. It still didn't work.
Please advise again. If you can send copy of your response to me at [email protected] it would be appriciated.
Thank you,
Marc
another option is to boot in text mode (I don't know the boot cheat code now) and start knx-hdinstall.
if you do sudo /usr/local/bin/knx-hd install it will work from GUI. I did it from gui. Pretty sweet
On your Compaq are you seeing the boot startup, the "tux" in the upper left and the hardware detection, etc?
If you are not seeing that your video card won't support the vga mode used by default in the knoppix lilo boot process, so try starting with:
knoppix vga=normal (plus any other boot-option codes you need)
and see if that works. I've had to do that on about 50% of the computers I've tried knoppix on to have a usable console.
HTH
rock
can you post exact modification that you did to lilo.conf ?
ok doing vga=normal fixed the problem only partially. I can get a console but it still takes a crap while trying to come back to the original console and upon logout it doesn't come back to a graphical login just black screen

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount
$489.99
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...
$324.99
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$248.00
Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93