-
Problem with K3b in Knoppix
Hi, my 18gb HD on my Laptop crashed 7 days ago. I found this very useful OS Knoppix and I am most greatful for it. Now i can access my CPU again and I can also access my HD again.
There is one problem left though... I want to save some backups from my HD to my external CD writer. The problem is that when i have started a new project in K3b and selected all the files i want to burn and finally clicks "Burn", everything stops. All the meters stands on 0%, eventually the "Elapsed time" counts but nothing more happends. 4 times out of 5 the computer hangs and i have to reboot again. I havent been able to burn one single CD...
K3b finds my external CD burner, the usergroup is Knoppix and that group have burn rights. I have mounted my HD and fixed so that its writable and not only readable. Is there anyting more i have to do?
Please explain in as simple terms as possible, course' im a newbie at Knoppix. Thanks alot for helping me out =)
Best regards
jhn
-
Senior Member
registered user
JHN,
If you are using knoppix from the cd, where are you storing the your .iso file before it is burned? K3B might just be using ram and you might be running out of it. I would suggest mounting a hard drive, putting your iso file there first, and then burning it.
You can also use the command line to burn your files, but likewise you will need to create the .iso file on one of your mounted hard drives (whether it's on your local machine or on a network drive) and then burn it.
Here's how to do it from the command line.
FIND YOUR CD BURNER
The output will look something like this:
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a19 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2003 Jörg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.25
Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
scsibus0:
0,0,0 0) 'TEAC ' 'DW-28E ' '1.0A' Removable CD-ROM
0,1,0 1) *
0,2,0 2) *
0,3,0 3) *
0,4,0 4) *
0,5,0 5) *
0,6,0 6) *
0,7,0 7) *
So in this case your burner would be located at: 0,0,0
MAKE THE ISO IMAGE
Code:
mkisofs -J -r -o name_of_new_iso_file.iso /path/to/your/files
BURN THE IMAGE
Code:
cdrecord speed=4 dev=0,0,0 -v -pad -eject file_to_be_burned.iso
This should take care of things for you.
-
Thanks alot. I will try your instructions as soon as ive got a chance. I'll report back how successful it was. Again, thanks a lot for your time and help...
Greetings
jhn
-
Hi again, well there are still some problems...
First, where do I see where i the files (i.e ISO) are stored before burned? Is it in the K3b's preferenses --> misc. --> temp folder? Or where do i change the default for the files?
Secondly, I have to mound my harddrive first, do I do this by simply rightckick the icon hda1 and choose 'mount'? If not, how do I do it?
Thrid, must i create an ISO image first or can I burn the files direct to a CD, what is recommended. The CD is going to be used in a w2k enviroment later.
Thanks alot for all help...
Best regards
Jhn
Similar Threads
-
By maussimo010 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-03-2005, 05:52 PM
-
By the_halfling in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-25-2003, 03:32 AM
-
By bongski55 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-15-2003, 10:19 AM
-
By xetaprime in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-28-2003, 10:33 AM
-
By ozzan in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-22-2003, 10:18 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$381.93

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2144G 3.6GHz 16GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$149.00

NEW DELL TRUSTED PLATFORM MODULE TPM 2.0 POWEREDGE R730 SERVER M48YR RXW6R K98XH
$225.00

NEW DELL TRUSTED PLATFORM MODULE TPM 2.0 POWEREDGE R730 R630 G13 SERVERS K98XH
$225.00