-
smbmount and Windows 2000 network
Hi All,
Until recently, I could mount a share on our Windows NT file server with
smbmount //fileserver/myshare$ /mymountpoint -o username=gdb,fmask666
Now everything is moved to a new server with Windows 2000, and also a new group concept. I tried all possible variations of above, but it just does not work. Mostly, it complains about a 'bad username/password pair', however under my Windows NT workstation it still works perfectly. A few variations I tried:
smbmount //fileserver/myshare$ /mymountpoint -o username=gdb,fmask666
smbmount //fileserver/myshare$ /mymountpoint -o username=group/gdb,fmask666
smbmount //fileserver/myshare$ /mymountpoint -o username=group\gdb,fmask666
smbmount //fileserver/myshare$ /mymountpoint -o username=gdb@group,fmask666
etc.
And also variations where I try to escape the '/' and the '\'. It just does not work. My network administrator assisted me, but could not work it out too (he is an incognito Linux fan administrating a Windows Network...)
Anybody any idea? Problems with active directory? Version incompatiblities?
GdB
-
Hi GdB
These are really just guesses, but....
Check the logs for error messages. I was trying to get samba working recently, and found tons of errors being generated by samba. It seems there was a bug in the version that came with Knoppix - 3.0.0beta2-1. I apt-get'ed a later version (I have installed Knoppix onto hard disk) and it started working.
Does the move from NT to W2K have anything to do with the encryption of passwords? I seem to recall that earlier versions of Windows used unencrypted passwords, and later versions used encrypted ones. Maybe you are mixing encrypted with unencrypted?
Also, a quick flick through the smbmount man page mentioned an option 'krb Use kerberos (Active Directory)'. Maybe you need to use this?
THO
-
Shame on me...
RTFM:
man smbmount shows how to use one's group account : username=gdb/groupX
(Am I really so stupid that I overlooked this combination?)
It works now....
Similar Threads
-
By Mo281282 in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-19-2005, 10:36 PM
-
By JLocke in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-01-2004, 12:06 AM
-
By legal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-15-2004, 04:33 PM
-
By Termina in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-09-2004, 08:15 AM
-
By mailman42 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-20-2003, 04:26 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$49.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections
$63.00