Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: 1 or 2 processors? Depends upon which CD I boot

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    57

    1 or 2 processors? Depends upon which CD I boot

    I am working on a Dell box with Knoppix 3.3 9/03 installed on the harddisk. 'cat /proc/cpuinfo' shows a single Intel P4 2.40 GHz. The same is true for the remastered CDs.
    When I boot up (on the same box) the recent LocalAreaSecurity.com Knoppix based live CD, I get two Tuxs, and it finds 2 P4 2.40 GHZ processors.

    Why? Is it in the SysLinux version? Any way to get to that other cpu?

    This remastering can use all the cycles possible. Having the second processor might cut down in the making of the compressed ISO.

    BillS

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Osnabrück, Germany
    Posts
    95

    Re: 1 or 2 processors? Depends upon which CD I boot

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS
    'cat /proc/cpuinfo' shows a single Intel P4 2.40 GHz.
    true, P4s are not capable of multi processing, so there can only be one physical processor on your mobo.

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS
    When I boot up (on the same box) the recent LocalAreaSecurity.com Knoppix based live CD, I get two Tuxs, and it finds 2 P4 2.40 GHZ processors.
    Oops, how did you fit a second P4 in your machine?? Just kidding, to me it seems that you've got one of those P4s that have "hyperthreading"; that means that one physical processor behaves like two logical processors, see http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...library/l-htl/!


    Quote Originally Posted by BillS
    Why? Is it in the SysLinux version? Any way to get to that other cpu?
    I don't think it has anything to with syslinux. LAS prolly has a smp (a.k.a. multiprocessing) enabled kernel, thats why! With knoppix you could try the "smp" boot option!

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361

    Re: 1 or 2 processors? Depends upon which CD I boot

    Quote Originally Posted by EmDee
    LAS prolly has a smp (a.k.a. multiprocessing) enabled kernel, thats why! With knoppix you could try the "smp" boot option!
    Knoppix should do smp by default, in fact on a double xeon machine at work I get four Tux when I boot up Knoppix without any cheat codes.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Osnabrück, Germany
    Posts
    95

    Re: 1 or 2 processors? Depends upon which CD I boot

    Quote Originally Posted by windos_no_thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EmDee
    LAS prolly has a smp (a.k.a. multiprocessing) enabled kernel, thats why! With knoppix you could try the "smp" boot option!
    Knoppix should do smp by default, in fact on a double xeon machine at work I get four Tux when I boot up Knoppix without any cheat codes.
    Cool! So if you have some huge-ass server with, say, 24 CPUs, what'd ya see then? 24 tux??? <- I'd like too see a screenshot of that

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    57

    Working my way backwards

    Just posting research results....
    I think this is done in vmlinuz at the initial boot loader.

    During the boot, it starts with
    1) Syslinux banner line flashes on top of screen momentarily
    2) Boot graphic and prompt (inside boot.img) are presented
    3) options selected or not then <cr>
    4) vmlinuz.........
    5) miniroot.gz.........
    6) screen clears
    7) 1 or more Tuxs apear at top of screen
    (that was an '8' paren) Some welcome string:
    knoppix = Welcome to (multicolored) KNOPPIX Live-CD
    L.A.S = Now booting Local Area Security 0.4.1
    9) Found xxxx memory

    At Step #8 we are at the first (almost) executable line of the 'linuxrc" script. This script is the only executable thing in the miniroot.gz, inside the boot.img.

    The next action for linuxrc is to 'mount /dev/proc /proc". This is where the commandline and cpu information are taken from. The number of processors is already known, the comptessed file system with the kernel are not even looped and mounted yet.

    The tailend of vmlinuz must be what loaded that '/dev/proc' structure just before clearing the screen and putting up the Tux and starting the linuxrc after opening miniroot.gz.

    Also, the knoppix kernel is labeled as 2.4.22-xfs, and the L.A.S kernel is 2.4.20-xfs. The options configuration for Knoppix does set the only occurance of "xxx-SMP = y".

    BillS

Similar Threads

  1. Circular depends ... Knoppix versions toDebian
    By BillS in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-29-2005, 12:43 PM
  2. Apt-Get Tells me i am missing depends but I have them...
    By MattM in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-08-2004, 09:33 PM
  3. Would like to customise Knoppix depends on user.
    By anonjoe in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-07-2003, 08:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$255.98



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



Western Digital PC SN740 256GB M.2 2280 NVMe Internal SSD (SDDPNQD-256G) picture

Western Digital PC SN740 256GB M.2 2280 NVMe Internal SSD (SDDPNQD-256G)

$32.99



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$79.99



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00