Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Windows GUI on Linux is possible!

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    157

    Windows GUI on Linux is possible!

    Hello, I know that this is a knoppix site, but XPde is looking for developers to create an "exact to the pixel" Windows GUI for Linux.

    Any one that knows how to code, they would like some help. This is a great project and I know that many will want to use this product.

    http://xpde.com

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Posts
    84
    That is just

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    27
    Its a great effort. But my question is why. Will that copy of linux be coded to function like windows too. Why ?

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Cantabria, Spain
    Posts
    17
    Because a lot of people (pronounce "newbies") have just started to use a computer and it's rather easy that the pc where they started learning was running XP. If you want to give gnu/linux a chance to "charm" this users out of XP, you have to let them work with the PC in a WinXP fashion. That's the standar out-of-the-book answer for that cuestion. (I still think a fluxbox or a afterstep winmanager is nicer and better, not to mencion KDE or Gnome...)

    This is just a windowmanager project, the rest of the linux os is the same. No new features like bsod in Linux, so it's a project to reproduce the look, not the feel.

    Not a bad idea, but how about taking just the XP gui concept and make it a little better. I've been working on my job pc with XP for 3 months and I bet there are better ways to make some things (who the hell designed the new window style, It's horrible imho!), but others like the start menu that shows the more frecuently used apps are nice.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    8
    Xandros is very close to this idea. - infringing on coppyrights. they do a very good job easy to config installs simple samba autoconfig. they have that.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    157
    I just finished testing Xandros. So far theirs is the closest to a windows environment. Even the File Browser is close. If I was to choose a distro for the new "linux from windows" convert it would be that one.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9
    I would not be interested in a Windows-looking GUI as I rather like being away from Micro$oft and don't want any reminders.

    OTOH, it would be funny for there to be a Windows clone that was stable, fast, and free--just to show the nice people in Redmond that it *can* be done, lol.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    157
    I think so too, except for functionality. I think it would be fun to get someone to sit behind a linux box with it painted like windows. Get them to install some programs and make some documents. Just to see how long it take them to find out that it was Linux under the hood.

    I am no way in support of Linux merging into Windows or making linux act like windows. But what I do want is a winows manager to act like windows. (Get the difference?) I know Linux is better in many ways. And for linux to become windows would wreck the whole idea of choice. If Linux ever got to the point of killing windows, Linux would become the "New Windows"! It would be the hated one that forces us to be told what to use.

    I want something that allows me to use Linux and makes me comfortable at the same time. I doubt that I will ever get to see this come about though. I am being forced to learn linux starting today. (If I don't I might lose some upcomming oportunities in my job)

Similar Threads

  1. Linux on windows
    By adamherb in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-03-2004, 09:56 PM
  2. Linux and Windows
    By manatarms1775 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-13-2004, 06:25 PM
  3. How to install WINDOWS 2000 besides LINUX and WINDOWS 98
    By legal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 04:33 PM
  4. How to install: LINUX first, WINDOWS NT after
    By legal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 04:31 PM
  5. windows and linux
    By javiergarza4 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-15-2003, 05:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY

$10.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Samsung M391A1K43BB2-CTDQ 4 x 8GB 1Rx8 PC4-2666V DDR4 UDIMM RAM Memory picture

Samsung M391A1K43BB2-CTDQ 4 x 8GB 1Rx8 PC4-2666V DDR4 UDIMM RAM Memory

$140.00



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Lot of 5 DDR4 Mixed Desktop RAM 28GB Total G.Skill Patriot Ballistix XPG Tested picture

Lot of 5 DDR4 Mixed Desktop RAM 28GB Total G.Skill Patriot Ballistix XPG Tested

$358.50



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$66.00



Crucial 32GB(4 x 8GB) CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1 DDR4-2400 UDIMM Desktop RAM - CR352A picture

Crucial 32GB(4 x 8GB) CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1 DDR4-2400 UDIMM Desktop RAM - CR352A

$89.95



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99



Lot of 5 - Mixed Brands 40GB (5x8GB) DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 SO-DIMM 260-Pin Non-ECC picture

Lot of 5 - Mixed Brands 40GB (5x8GB) DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 SO-DIMM 260-Pin Non-ECC

$150.00