Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Debian(Knoppix? on HD) "locks" when PCMCIA card is

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8

    Debian(Knoppix? on HD) "locks" when PCMCIA card is

    hello. I've recently installed Knoppix on my laptop HD (which I think turns it into Debian?) and everything seems to run well *except* for the PCMCIA ports. The laptop is a Toshiba 2100CDS btw (t2100cdt.kippona.net/downloads/spec2100cdt.pdf). The PCMCIA ports seem to initialize fine during the boot sequence (I can run cardctl from a prompt and they're there), but after I'm in the KDE w/ the desktop running, and I insert a PCMCIA card (a Netgear MA401 Wireless LAN card), the system "freezes" and doesn't accept any more keyboard/mouse/etc. input. Taking the card out doesn't help either. I have to hold down the power button to turn the system off. I tried editing the /etc/pcmcia/config.opts file with the help from this link: www.northmill.org/laptop/index.html.outdated (I did noticed that the version of the config.opts already existing on my HD had a few extra entries in the first couple of exclude/include lines and irqs 3 & 7 were commented out). I added/commented/uncommented the various lines that it shows, saved, rebooted, but the "freezing ports" still occurred when a card is inserted.
    Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get the PCMCIA ports functional to where I can get on the internet & my home LAN w/ the wireless card? Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    2
    I had this exact same problem, with the exact same laptop, with the exact same card. Since you install on HD you should have no problems. Everything is layed out on this page

    http://www.google.ca/search?q=cache:...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

    (Yes it is a google cache cuz the original page seems to have disappeared)

    Found the original(It's back now)

    http://www.linuxmanagers.org/piperma...er/000804.html

    This did fix it for me, you must make sure that you make the required changes in the bios, or nothing will work. (Hold Esc while booting to get into it)

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8
    thanks for the help! I'll try it out this evening when I'm near my laptop...

Similar Threads

  1. Follow: "Knoppix or DEBIAN for HD install"
    By OP4Latino in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-04-2005, 09:01 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-23-2005, 03:44 AM
  3. Debian install "end session" & "shutdown/
    By ihcnut in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-26-2004, 09:26 PM
  4. Debian(Knoppix? on HD) "locks" when PCMCIA card is
    By dgr72371 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-22-2004, 11:52 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-26-2003, 09:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A

$49.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$36.99



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD

$29.99



Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop picture

Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop

$221.00