Umm, is this right ?
I think it should be:Originally Posted by Markus
Code:sudo dd if=/dev/hdb1 of=/mnt/hdb1/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1
Umm, is this right ?
I think it should be:Originally Posted by Markus
Code:sudo dd if=/dev/hdb1 of=/mnt/hdb1/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1
uhnifedszss< (characters gotten from my forehead hitting the keyboard)Umm, is this right ?
Yup, you're right.I think it should be:
Code:
sudo dd if=/dev/hdb1 of=/mnt/hdb1/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1
And when chrooted into hdb1 it would be:
$ cd /
$ sudo dd if=/dev/hdb1 of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1
And for copying with root in hdb1:
$ cd /
$ mount /floppy
$ cp bootsect.lnx /floppy
$ umount /floppy
Copying without chrooting:
$ cd /mnt/hdb1
$ mount /floppy
$ cp bootsect.lnx /floppy
$ umount /floppy
Hope I got it at least close this time.
Alright I'm still a little new to linux myself so please, be gentle.
I've got a challenge from my instructor; he wants me to figure out a way to install both windows xp pro and knoppix on a single hard drive. And it must be bootable, now he is clueless about linux so assistance from him is out of the picture.
With that said let me just give a brief summary as to how far along I am:
Got xp loaded, same with knoppix on the hard drive, 3 partitions, 1 swap, 1 knoppix, 1 xp. Xp is in the ntfs format, I followed the "Howto: dual-boot knoppix with nt/2000/xp" and so far everything has worked out fine. I can boot knoppix from the boot disk it created, lilo is not in the mbr, and xp boots normally and gives the option for one or the other.
Now my problem is if I use the knoppix boot option I get an error that tells me "<Windows root> \system32/hal.dd" isn't there and needs to be put back. I did a check in windows and it is listed under it's system32 folder, however I'm unsure if knoppix is needing this file as well. Anyone care to clue me in, I feel almost as if I'm simply missing something.
Thanx
okay, everything worked fine in linux, the problem this time is, i cant find boot.ini in my windows drive!!! now what?
never mind, i found it![]()
![]()
okay, everything worked fine until the boot loader, it showed me knoppix and let me choose from either it or windows, when i chose knoppix all it did was just sit there with a black screen with a flashing cursor at the top, i waited a while, still the black screen. any clue what to do now?
Are you sure lilo wrote the output to hdb instead of trying to write to mbr?
Would you post your /etc/lilo.conf.
Did you need any cheatcodes when booting from the cd?
Also, when you ran lilo, did it say stuff like "added Linux"
Getting out of ideas here![]()
well first things first, yes i did write lilo to my linux partition, im sure of it. second ive never even seen lilo nevermind running it. third thing, i usually use "knoppix lang=us" at bootup just so that it's in english so i can understand it but i dont think that would matter much would it? and fourth and final thing, i dont know how in the world im supposed to be coppying my lilo.conf so i can get it on to windows and i dont want to be hand writing it because i may make a mistake and that wouldn't be could. sorry about all the trouble here ive caused but i really want to get this to work. thanks alot
Well, after chrooting to hdb1 you can run lilo with just typing: /sbin/lilowell first things first, yes i did write lilo to my linux partition, im sure of it. second ive never even seen lilo nevermind running it.
The thing is though, you have to remember to do the dd bootsect stuff each time after changing lilo.conf and running lilo.
Nope, I was hoping for something like knoppix nodma which might have made a difference.i usually use "knoppix lang=us" at bootup just so that it's in english so i can understand it but i dont think that would matter much would it?
You could copy it over to a fat-partition, a floppy or over internet.how in the world im supposed to be coppying my lilo.conf so i can get it on to windows
For floppy:
Boot the CD,
mount hdb1 and floppy, for floppy you need to write: mount /floppy
copy the file: cp /mnt/hdb1/etc/lilo.conf /floppy/
unmount the floppy with: umount /floppy
problemYou could copy it over to a fat-partition, a floppy or over internet.
For floppy:
Boot the CD,
mount hdb1 and floppy, for floppy you need to write: mount /floppy
copy the file: cp /mnt/hdb1/etc/lilo.conf /floppy/
unmount the floppy with: umount /floppyremember the access denied thing that i had with my hard drive? well... ... ... ... ... ... the same thing happened with the floppy drive. now what? im really sorry about all of this but i really want to get this to work

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981
$295.00
Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand
$275.00
Vintage cross Apple computer branded pen rainbow logo In original box
$100.00
Vintage Apple computer Cross Metal Ballpoint Pen Black Ink Gold Trim
$125.00
Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed
$69.95
LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED
$80.00
Vintage RARE 1980s Apple Computer Logo Frisbee. Great shape, w/ the usual nicks
$220.00
Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond
$140.00
Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681
$299.99
Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers
$300.00