Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Boot CD from boot floppy

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Glenview, Illinois
    Posts
    72

    Boot CD from boot floppy

    Is it possible to make a boot CD that will act exactly like the boot floppy made with mkfloppy.bat on the Knoppix CD? I tried it but even when I changed the BIOS to boot from CD, it booted Win98 from the hard drive. I am running Knoppix off the hard drive and want to leave my config floppy in the floppy drive.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    31

    interesting indeed

    rawrite2 -f boot-en.img -d A

    I would assume replacing "A" with the CD burner might work
    question would be
    when booting to Knoppix, does it need write access?
    If it does, then it wouldn't work
    Will run a test this evening

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Glenview, Illinois
    Posts
    72

    Boot CD

    Oops! I forget to choose "make CD bootable" when making the CD. I'll try that tonight.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Glenview, Illinois
    Posts
    72

    Boot CD

    I tried making a boot CD from the boot floppy and couldn't. In Nero and EZ CD Creator, you can choose 'make bootable CD' but when the program looks at the floppy as the source it says it isn't bootable. I also tried making an ISO 9660 CD with all the floppy files on it but that didn't work either. There must be a way...

  5. #5
    Member registered user tuxtom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    hamburg.de
    Posts
    32

    Re: Boot CD

    Quote Originally Posted by boehmb
    Oops! I forget to choose "make CD bootable" when making the CD. I'll try that tonight.
    You don't need to - and you should not "make CD bootlable"!
    The KNOPPIX.iso file is already an image of a bootable CD.
    Just use in nero the function: Burn iso image ...
    And you will get a bootable CD rom.

    tom

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Glenview, Illinois
    Posts
    72

    Boot CD from boot floppy

    Tuxtom, thanks for your reply. But I have the Knoppix CD and it works great. I'm trying to make a boot CD from the boot floppy. I have the Knoppix files on my hard drive, but use a boot floppy to access them. I wanted to make a boot CD and just leave it in my second CD-ROM drive so the computer boots to Knoppix by default (as long as the boot CD is in). I use the floppy for my Knoppix config. If I can't do it, it's OK, I just wondered if there was a way.....

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818

    Re: Boot CD from boot floppy

    Quote Originally Posted by boehmb
    Tuxtom, thanks for your reply. But I have the Knoppix CD and it works great. I'm trying to make a boot CD from the boot floppy. I have the Knoppix files on my hard drive, but use a boot floppy to access them. I wanted to make a boot CD and just leave it in my second CD-ROM drive so the computer boots to Knoppix by default (as long as the boot CD is in). I use the floppy for my Knoppix config. If I can't do it, it's OK, I just wondered if there was a way.....
    I think I understand....

    Check these things :
    * your harddrive with KNOPPIX on is not ntfs
    * you have a directory called "KNOPPIX" either in / (root ) so /KNOPPIX for linux filesystems, or C:\KNOPPIX for fat32 filesystems
    * you have the really big KNOPPIX file in /KNOPPIX/ or C:\KNOPPIX
    i.e. you have C:\KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX

    You can use the standard knoppix cd to boot from, if you have those files above, it will search the harddrive before the cdrom, and use those.
    it will say "accessing CDROM in /dev/hda1" or similar if your partition is /dev/hda1

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    31

    Re: Boot CD

    Quote Originally Posted by tuxtom
    Quote Originally Posted by boehmb
    Oops! I forget to choose "make CD bootable" when making the CD. I'll try that tonight.
    You don't need to - and you should not "make CD bootlable"!
    The KNOPPIX.iso file is already an image of a bootable CD.
    Just use in nero the function: Burn iso image ...
    And you will get a bootable CD rom.

    tom
    I tried to extract the image using isobuster but I can't
    let me try and figure how to extract the img and burn the contents to a CD

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818

    Re: Boot CD

    Quote Originally Posted by Sucker
    I tried to extract the image using isobuster but I can't
    let me try and figure how to extract the img and burn the contents to a CD
    Put the cd in the drive.. and drag the files across?
    ( once you've burned the knoppix cd. using "burn image" from the file menu of nero )

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    31
    Knoppix.iso burned to a CD
    Copied the contents of the CD to my hard disk
    Fireup Nero to burn an image of boot-en.img to CD
    Results?
    =a brand new coaster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. help making boot floppy to boot cd rom.
    By niceguy167 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-30-2004, 05:06 AM
  2. can only boot from floppy
    By Da534 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-18-2004, 09:08 PM
  3. Knoppix wont boot with boot floppy
    By proto in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 11:29 PM
  4. boot freezes, floppy boot o.k.?
    By Prieni in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2003, 02:52 PM
  5. Boot knoppix withough Floppy and CD boot
    By Dan_Netwalker in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-23-2003, 01:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Nanya NT32GA72D4NFX3K-JR 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-3200AA K25 DDR4 RDIMM RAM Server Memory picture

Nanya NT32GA72D4NFX3K-JR 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-3200AA K25 DDR4 RDIMM RAM Server Memory

$199.99



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



SK hynix 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 SDRAM PC4-2133P 288-Pin DIMM HMA41GU7AFR8N-TF picture

SK hynix 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 SDRAM PC4-2133P 288-Pin DIMM HMA41GU7AFR8N-TF

$65.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



HYNIX 64GB (1X64GB) 2RX4 PC4-3200AA DDR4 SERVER MEMORY picture

HYNIX 64GB (1X64GB) 2RX4 PC4-3200AA DDR4 SERVER MEMORY

$600.00



LOT OF 8 MICRON 32GB 4GX72 DDR3 SERVER RAM MTA40ALF4G72MDZ-1G6E4B40B picture

LOT OF 8 MICRON 32GB 4GX72 DDR3 SERVER RAM MTA40ALF4G72MDZ-1G6E4B40B

$700.00



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



32GB Micron MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2E2UI PC4-3200AA-RB2-12 DDR4 Server Memory | Tested picture

32GB Micron MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2E2UI PC4-3200AA-RB2-12 DDR4 Server Memory | Tested

$435.00



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$471.39



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99