Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Boot Error on Thinkpad 1161-51f

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    10

    Boot Error on Thinkpad 1161-51f

    Hi everybody,

    Knoppix Linux looks amazing on my desktop computer! I'm now interested to make it work on my IBM Thinkpad 1161-51f(series 2000) laptop.

    Every time I try to boot from the Knoppix Linux CD I simply get a message saying "Boot Failed". Is there any way to know what specifically went wrong?

    Anyone want more information about my laptop?


    CPU: 600mhz celeron
    RAM: 192 Mb
    VIDEO: 4 Mb Silicon Motion LynxEM+ (2D)
    HDD: 10GB IBM DJSA
    CD-ROM: Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-C2402



    I have read on the Internet that the integrated WinModem doesnt work with Linux. But technically, I don't care a single bit about the modem because I use wireless internet.

    Can someone please help? I really want to be able to boot knoppix and do a HD install just like I did on my desktop!

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    73
    Where (or when) does this error occur exactly?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    10
    Hi,

    Thanks for trying to help me out...
    This error occurs right away at booting. Before the Knoppix logo that gives all the booting options. Someone said that maybe the CD was corrupted, now I'm trying to burn another copy of Knoppix.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    73
    Ok. Hopefully that will work for you. Be sure to verify the md5sum of the ISO. If you know the ISO is good but think the disc is bad there are ways to check that too.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    10
    Ok, here's an update on my situation:

    I'm seriously very unmotivated... I think I'll never get this thing to work. I veriffied the MD5 and burned the CD a second time. Still the same thing...

    The Linux kernel is really advanced so why couldn't there be any "debug mode"? If that would be possible I could post my problem on Bugzilla. I don't really think it would help developers If I would simply post a lame message saying that I get a boot failure.

    In fact, I don't even know why I'm using Knoppix. Maybe because I like Debian and debian is pretty complex to install and configure and Knoppix does that for me.

    Anyone have some last ideas that could help me?

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    73
    Do you actually hear the drive spinning before you get the boot failure message? Do you have any other bootable CD's you can try with to make sure it's not your laptop?

    Another thing to do is try the cheatcodes. Maybe there is a problem with apic and using the noapic option would help.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    10
    Hi,

    Heard the cdrom spinning, hell yea... I mean it's normal that it has to read some boot info right? Also, I ahve no problems booting using: Windows 98 boot cd, Windows XP Professional Installation CD, almost any linux distro setup disk...

    I can't use cheatcodes because I get that error message even before theres that prompt to enter boot options.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by paulius
    Hi,

    Heard the cdrom spinning, hell yea... I mean it's normal that it has to read some boot info right? Also, I ahve no problems booting using: Windows 98 boot cd, Windows XP Professional Installation CD, almost any linux distro setup disk...

    I can't use cheatcodes because I get that error message even before theres that prompt to enter boot options.
    Ok, have you tried the CD in another machine ?
    Edit:
    Hmm, I guess you have since you say you already did a HD install on your desktop...

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    73
    I'm stumped

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    10
    Well thanks for trying to help me anyways. I think I'm gonna have to simply use another distro. I think i'm gonna try installing Debian but I heard it's really painful and complicated.

    Edit:
    Also, yeah, I tried those 2 Knoppix cds that I burned on my desktop and server.
    On my desktop it was smooth and I did a HD install (I'm actually typign this on my hd install).
    On my server I got some problems when it tried to detect SCSI, I solved that problem by doing the expert mode and selected to simply not scan SCSI devices because technically I don't use SCSI.
    On my laptop look above in the first post. I'm also thinking... Maybe even if I would be able to boot it successfully I think it would have problems with auto configuration of hardware because my BIOS doesn't have a "P&P OS" or "Initialize Hardware" option.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Bus Error on a Thinkpad T23
    By guiraudn in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 02:37 PM
  2. boot on ibm thinkpad t20
    By yumax in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-22-2004, 06:43 AM
  3. Knoppix doesn't boot on Thinkpad X31
    By fmarzocca in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 02:40 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-20-2003, 11:48 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-06-2003, 09:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$49.99



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



2U AI MINING SERVER 2x Xeon 36 cores 2.3Ghz DDR4 2x NVIDIA V100 GPU PCIe 2PS USA picture

2U AI MINING SERVER 2x Xeon 36 cores 2.3Ghz DDR4 2x NVIDIA V100 GPU PCIe 2PS USA

$799.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Windows Server 2025 datacenter 64bit 24 Core 50 cal DVD + PRODUCT LICENSE KEY. picture

Windows Server 2025 datacenter 64bit 24 Core 50 cal DVD + PRODUCT LICENSE KEY.

$49.99