-
Senior Member
registered user
Scary = Repartitioning a LIVE hard drive.
Scary is also HOT SWAPPING interface cards inside your computer - thats what I mean by scary.
( of which, both of these things should not be done )
You don't pull out computer cards, from inside your computer, while it is booted, and running. And this whole thing about re-partitioning while it contains data on it, is scary. I guess it isn't as scary as it COULD BE, I can always start from scratch again. I haven't gotten too much data/programs/configs on the new system that I couldn't just start again, but the whole thing of resizing a hard drive data partitions while stuff, and is being used, is something, I would think, is not for the faint of heart.
I think I am going to take your idea Fingers99, I actually have two 2 gig hard drives (was wondering where I was going to be able to use them), I'll just pop one of them into the new system. Boot to the Win98 CD, and install to the 2 gig hard drive....
OOOPS -=- just a thought
If I install Win98 with its install CD, won't that mess up the boot, or is it the MBR?, for LILO and Linux???? I don't want to boot Win98, I want to always boot Linux, but need to install Win98 though. Doesn't Win98 change the MBR, or at least, will it change what LILO and Linux need to let me continue to boot into Linux???
I think I am going with this "other" hard drive idea, it is less costly, has less chances of failure, and -=- if I can figure out, ahead of time, the changes that a new hard drive, with Win98, is going to do to my current Linux install - I think that will be this weeks project.
So, answers need to be for the following:
Install 2gig hard drive as new device - hd? - install Win98 to that device, not to boot to it, and still allow Linux/Knoppix to boot as it is currently. Then I can try to use Wine, or even DOSEmu, with this drive, from within Linux OS. If all else fails, I can boot to the second hard drive, with a limited Windows install, just to run on LOUSEY PROGRAM - shessh, what is the World coming to? When you got to jump through all these hoops and rings, just to get one durn DOS program, DOS (shessh), to run????
Awaiting ideas, and thoughts on this one...
Cuddles
Fingers99 - just a thought - If I used CFDisk to delete, and then re-add the Linux Swap partition, doesn't Knoppix do some kind of "formatting" to the Swap during the installation? The Linux Swap isn't just a partition without any form of formatting is it? During the install of Knoppix it did do something, when it asked what the Swap partition was, so, if I delete the Swap, and then re-add it, wouldn't I need to do what the install did, to the new partitioned Swap??? Just a thought
Similar Threads
-
By GStoll in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-03-2004, 04:02 AM
-
By ckassab in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-07-2004, 03:47 PM
-
By Cuddles in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 18
Last Post: 01-27-2004, 05:31 AM
-
By Cuddles in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-11-2004, 03:48 PM
-
By koolmoose in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-19-2003, 01:05 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened
$195.00

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord
$49.99

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless
$25.99

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99