Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: "Access Denied"

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2

    "Access Denied"

    Well, let's just get the fact that I'm a total knoppix newbie. I've skimmed the FAQs and haven't found anything about my problem, so I'm asking here.

    I continually get "Access Denied" messages when I try to change filenames or file locations. I'm logged in as root. Please help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    157
    Which filenames and which file locations?

    Don't forget that Knoppix runs off CD - which is not writeable - hence any part of the OS cannot be written to.

    If you are trying to modify things on your hard disk, Knoppix will mount them as read only if you mount them by clicking on the little icon on the desktop. If you want to mount them as writeable, you have to edit the file /etc/fstab and change the ro to rw, or mount them manually by typing a command such as
    Code:
    mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
    ... but obviously you should change the device name to suit.

    Alternatively, try right clicking on the icon and looking for something about changing read/write modes. I just noticed this on my laptop - but I have Knoppix installed on the hard disk, so things might be different than yours.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2
    Well, I'm trying to test out a web server, so it is /var/www/index.html

    (I say this because I am going to run it on a different computer, I just want to see the strain on my internet connection.)

    I have Knoppix on my hard drive.

    If you could tell me the code for that, I would appreciate it.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    157
    What are the outputs of the following commands?

    mount

    ls -ld /var/www

    ls -l /var/www/index.html

Similar Threads

  1. "/usr/bin/find: /proc/1/fd: Permission Denied"
    By marksalot in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-13-2005, 07:49 AM
  2. How do I get "delete" access to FAT 16/32 partitio
    By mapangojoe in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2004, 05:53 AM
  3. how to access "persistent home derectory"
    By EmoRock in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-22-2003, 06:13 AM
  4. "permission denied" for knx-hdinstall?
    By three eyes open in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-28-2003, 01:06 AM
  5. "Connection Reset by Peer" or "hang"
    By oreo in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-23-2003, 06:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US picture

LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US

$76.98



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only picture

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only

$200.00



Serial ATA two-port SATA PCI card (SiI3112 sil3112 chipset) picture

Serial ATA two-port SATA PCI card (SiI3112 sil3112 chipset)

$18.99



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives

$149.95



LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US picture

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US

$29.88



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.30



HP controller P3410-69003 NetRAID-1M SCSI 64-bit U160 32MB Cache (PCI) picture

HP controller P3410-69003 NetRAID-1M SCSI 64-bit U160 32MB Cache (PCI)

$359.00



KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health picture

KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health

$360.00