Figured it out. There was no .configure in the directory where I unpacked the source tarball. I got past that and ran into later compile problems so I am going to look for help on the DRI developer mailing list.
I think I am doing something pretty stupid, but I cannot see what is wrong. I am trying to compile and install the S3 Savage4 DRI module that is being developed. I downloaded the driver sources and the 2.4.22 kernel source. I am supposed to compile like this.
:/xc/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/linux/drm/kernel# make -f Makefile.linux LINUXDIR=/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.22-xfs
but I get this message
make -C /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.22-xfs SUBDIRS=`pwd` DRMSRCDIR=`pwd` modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.22-xfs'
The present kernel configuration has modules disabled.
Type 'make config' and enable loadable module support.
Then build a kernel with module support enabled.
make[1]: *** [modules] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.22-xfs'
make: *** [modules] Error 2
I figure Knoppix 3.3 kernel has to be using modules so it looks like the make file is confused. I looked at the source of the Makefile and it looks to be geared towards RedHat. Is this a problem with the layout of the kernel source in Knoppix or have I done something stupid?
Figured it out. There was no .configure in the directory where I unpacked the source tarball. I got past that and ran into later compile problems so I am going to look for help on the DRI developer mailing list.

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$49.99
1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare
$1800.00
Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k
$300.00
1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE
$6299.00
Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond
$140.00
Apple Keyboard and Cable for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110
$129.99
Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+
$209.99
Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$59.99
Apple Keyboard for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110 (010)
$149.00
Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs
$14.99