Figured it out. There was no .configure in the directory where I unpacked the source tarball. I got past that and ran into later compile problems so I am going to look for help on the DRI developer mailing list.
I think I am doing something pretty stupid, but I cannot see what is wrong. I am trying to compile and install the S3 Savage4 DRI module that is being developed. I downloaded the driver sources and the 2.4.22 kernel source. I am supposed to compile like this.
:/xc/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/linux/drm/kernel# make -f Makefile.linux LINUXDIR=/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.22-xfs
but I get this message
make -C /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.22-xfs SUBDIRS=`pwd` DRMSRCDIR=`pwd` modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.22-xfs'
The present kernel configuration has modules disabled.
Type 'make config' and enable loadable module support.
Then build a kernel with module support enabled.
make[1]: *** [modules] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.22-xfs'
make: *** [modules] Error 2
I figure Knoppix 3.3 kernel has to be using modules so it looks like the make file is confused. I looked at the source of the Makefile and it looks to be geared towards RedHat. Is this a problem with the layout of the kernel source in Knoppix or have I done something stupid?
Figured it out. There was no .configure in the directory where I unpacked the source tarball. I got past that and ran into later compile problems so I am going to look for help on the DRI developer mailing list.

Vintage Cherry W. Germany G80-0486H/05 Mechanical 25-Pin D-Sub Keyboard M8
$170.99
Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1
$250.00
Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00
Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer
$419.99
Vintage Timbuk2 Crossbody Messenger Bag Forest Green/ Black Y2k USA Made
$85.00
Vintage cross Apple computer branded pen rainbow logo In original box
$100.00
Vintage NRI Model 832 Microcomputer Case - See Photos
$295.00
Vintage Apple computer Cross Metal Ballpoint Pen Black Ink Gold Trim
$125.00
Vintage Microsoft Office 4.2 for Windows Original Floppy Disks & Manuals 1994
$119.99
ASUS A7V333 Vintage Motherboard | Untested | For Parts
$44.89